The impact of macroeconomic announcements on real time foreign exchange rates in emerging markets
AbstractThis paper utilizes a unique high-frequency database to measure how exchange rates in nine emerging markets react to macroeconomic news in the U.S. and domestic economies from 2000 to 2006. We find that major U.S. macroeconomic news have a strong impact on the returns and volatilities of emerging market exchange rates, but many domestic news do not. Emerging market currencies have become more sensitive to U.S. news in recent years. We also find that market sentiment could sway the impact of news on these currencies systematically, as good (bad) news seems to matter more when optimism (pessimism) prevails. Market uncertainty also interacts with macroeconomic news in a statistically significant way, but its role varies across currencies and news.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) in its series International Finance Discussion Papers with number 973.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-07-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2009-07-17 (Central Banking)
- NEP-CNA-2009-07-17 (China)
- NEP-IFN-2009-07-17 (International Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2009-07-17 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MST-2009-07-17 (Market Microstructure)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Égert, Balázs & Kočenda, Evžen, 2014.
"The impact of macro news and central bank communication on emerging European forex markets,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 73-88.
- Balazs Egert & Evžen Kocenda, 2013. "The Impact of Macro News and Central Bank Communication on Emerging European Forex Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 4288, CESifo Group Munich.
- Balázs Égert & Evžen Kočenda, 2012. "The impact of macro news and central bank communication on emerging European forex markets," EconomiX Working Papers 2012-20, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Nowak, Sylwia & Andritzky, Jochen & Jobst, Andreas & Tamirisa, Natalia, 2011. "Macroeconomic fundamentals, price discovery, and volatility dynamics in emerging bond markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 2584-2597, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kris Vajs).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.