Optimal currency basket in a world of generalized floating : an application to the nordic countries
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to derive optimal weights for a currency basket taking into consideration the objective of the policymaker. We carefully distinguish between the two terms: effective exchange rate index and currency basket, which are often used interchangeably in the literature. In general, our analysis is an extension of the work of Branson-Katseli and Lipschitz-Sundararajan and then applied to the Nordic countries. We use the policy objective of minimizing fluctuation in export production and illustrate our results using Norway, Sweden and Finland. The weights we derive create optimal currency baskets which are different from the ones used in the countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) in its series International Finance Discussion Papers with number 266.
Date of creation: 1985
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Edison, Hali J. & Vardal, Erling, 1987. "Optimal currency basket in a world of generalized floating : An application to the Nordic countries," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 81-96.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Asheim, Geir B., 1984. "Properties of a system of currency baskets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 311-317, May.
- Branson, William H. & Katseli-Papaefstratiou, Louka T., 1980. "Income instability, terms of trade, and the choice of exchange rate regime," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 49-69, February.
- Zhang, Zhichao & Shi, Nan & Zhang, Xiaoli, 2011.
"China’s new exchange rate regime, optimal basket currency and currency diversification,"
32642, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zhang, Zhichao & Shi, Nan & Zhang, Xiaoli, 2011. "China’s new exchange rate regime, optimal basket currency and currency diversification," BOFIT Discussion Papers 19/2011, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Hovanov, Nikolai V. & Kolari, James W. & Sokolov, Mikhail V., 2004. "Computing currency invariant indices with an application to minimum variance currency baskets," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1481-1504, June.
- Lars Hörngren & Anders Vredin, 1989. "Exchange risk premia in a currency basket system," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 125(2), pages 311-325, June.
- Hali J. Edison, 1986. "Is the ECU an optimal currency basket?," International Finance Discussion Papers 282, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kris Vajs).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.