Productivity dynamics: U.S. manufacturing plants, 1972-1986
AbstractThis paper presents an analysis of the dynamics of total factor productivity measures for large plants in SICs 35, 36, and 38. Several TFP measures, derived from production functions and Solow type residuals, are computed and their behavior over time is compared, using various non-parametric tools. Aggregate TFP, which has grown substantially over the time period, is compared with average plant level TFP, which has declined or remained flat. Using transition matrices, the persistence of plant productivity is examined, and it is shown how the transition probabilities vary by industry, plant age, and other characteristics.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) in its series Finance and Economics Discussion Series with number 94-1.
Date of creation: 1994
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Bartelsman, E.J. & Dhrymes, P.J., 1991. "Productivity Dynamics: US Manufacturing Plants, 1972-1986," Discussion Papers 1991_50, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Phoebus Dhrymes & Eric Bartelsman, 1992. "Productivity Dynamics: U.S. Manufacturing Plants, 1972-1986," Working Papers 92-1, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sang V Nguyen & Robert H Mcguckin, 1995. "Exploring The Role Of Acquisition In The Performance Of Firms: Is The "Firm" The Right Unit Of Analysis?," Working Papers 95-13, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Mahmut Yasar & Roderick Rejesus & Ilhami Mintemur, 2004. "Is there evidence of creative destruction in the Turkish manufacturing sector? Lessons from a cross-industry analysis of aggregate productivity growth," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 36(17), pages 1937-1945.
- Shuyun May Li, 2008. "Employment Flows with Endogenous Financing Constraints," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 1045, The University of Melbourne.
- Alvaro Escribano & Rodolfo Stucchi, 2008.
"Catching up in total factor productivity through the business cycle : evidence from Spanish manufacturing surveys,"
Economics Working Papers
we085125, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Álvaro Escribano & Rodolfo Stucchi, 2011. "Catching up in total factor productivity through the business cycle: Evidence from Spanish manufacturing firms," Working Papers 2011-10, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Shutao Cao, 2008. "A Model of Costly Capital Reallocation and Aggregate Productivity," Working Papers 08-38, Bank of Canada.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kris Vajs) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Kris Vajs to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.