A review of backtesting and backtesting procedures
AbstractThis paper reviews a variety of backtests that examine the adequacy of Value-at-Risk (VaR) measures. These backtesting procedures are reviewed from both a statistical and risk management perspective. The properties of unconditional coverage and independence are defined and their relation to backtesting procedures is discussed. Backtests are then classified by whether they examine the unconditional coverage property, independence property, or both properties of a VaR measure. Backtests that examine the accuracy of a VaR model at several quantiles, rather than a single quantile, are also outlined and discussed. The statistical power properties of these tests are examined in a simulation experiment. Finally, backtests that are specified in terms of a pre-specified loss function are reviewed and their use in VaR validation is discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) in its series Finance and Economics Discussion Series with number 2005-21.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-06-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2005-06-14 (Econometrics)
- NEP-RMG-2005-06-14 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeremy Berkowitz & James O'Brien, 2002. "How Accurate Are Value-at-Risk Models at Commercial Banks?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(3), pages 1093-1111, 06.
- Jose A. Lopez, 1996.
"Regulatory Evaluation of Value-at-Risk Models,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
96-51, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Peter Christoffersen & Denis Pelletier, 2003.
"Backtesting Value-at-Risk: A Duration-Based Approach,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Peter Christoffersen, 2004. "Backtesting Value-at-Risk: A Duration-Based Approach," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 2(1), pages 84-108.
- Kerkhof, F.L.J. & Melenberg, B., 2002.
"Backtesting for Risk-Based Regulatory Capital,"
2002-110, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Diebold, Francis X & Gunther, Todd A & Tay, Anthony S, 1998. "Evaluating Density Forecasts with Applications to Financial Risk Management," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 863-83, November.
- Berkowitz, Jeremy, 2001. "Testing Density Forecasts, with Applications to Risk Management," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(4), pages 465-74, October.
- Christoffersen, Peter F, 1998. "Evaluating Interval Forecasts," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 841-62, November.
- Matthew Pritsker, 1997. "Evaluating Value at Risk Methodologies: Accuracy versus Computational Time," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 201-242, October.
- Matthew Pritsker, 2001. "The hidden dangers of historical simulation," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2001-27, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Katerina Simons, 1996. "Value at risk: new approaches to risk management," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Sep, pages 3-13.
- Juan Carlos Escanciano & Pei Pei, 2012.
"Pitfalls in Backtesting Historical Simulation VaR Models,"
Caepr Working Papers
2012-003, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Escanciano, Juan Carlos & Pei, Pei, 2012. "Pitfalls in backtesting Historical Simulation VaR models," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 2233-2244.
- Pérignon, Christophe & Deng, Zi Yin & Wang, Zhi Jun, 2008. "Do banks overstate their Value-at-Risk?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 783-794, May.
- Wagner P. Gaglianone & Luiz Renato Lima & Oliver Linton, 2008.
"Evaluating Value-at-Risk Models via Quantile Regressions,"
Working Papers Series
161, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Gaglianone, Wagner Piazza & Lima, Luiz Renato & Linton, Oliver & Smith, Daniel R., 2011. "Evaluating Value-at-Risk Models via Quantile Regression," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 29(1), pages 150-160.
- Gaglianone, Wagner Piazza & Linton, Oliver & Lima, Luiz Renato Regis de Oliveira, 2008. "Evaluating Value-at-Risk models via Quantile regressions," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 679, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Wagner Piazza Gaglianone & Luiz Renato Lima & Oliver Linton & Daniel Smith, 2009. "Evaluating Value-at-Risk models via Quantile Regression," Economics Working Papers we094625, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Wagner Piazza Gaglianone & Luiz Renato Lima & Oliver Linton & Daniel Smith, 2010. "Evaluating Value-at-Risk Models via Quantile Regression," NCER Working Paper Series 67, National Centre for Econometric Research.
- Ergün, A. Tolga & Jun, Jongbyung, 2010. "Time-varying higher-order conditional moments and forecasting intraday VaR and Expected Shortfall," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 264-272, August.
- Jean-François Carpantier & Arnaud Dufays, 2013.
"Commodities Inventory Effect,"
CREA Discussion Paper Series
13-07, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- Sabrina Khanniche, 2009. "Evaluation of Hedge Fund Returns Value at Risk Using GARCH Models," EconomiX Working Papers 2009-46, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Vêlayoudom Marimoutou & Bechir Raggad & Abdelwahed Trabelsi, 2006. "Extreme Value Theory and Value at Risk : Application to Oil Market," Working Papers halshs-00410746, HAL.
- Marimoutou, Velayoudoum & Raggad, Bechir & Trabelsi, Abdelwahed, 2009. "Extreme Value Theory and Value at Risk: Application to oil market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 519-530, July.
- Gonzales-Martínez, Rolando, 2009.
"La Gestión de Riesgo de Liquidez en Economías Emergentes: Un Modelo Valor-en-Riesgo (VaR) Paramétrico de Calibración Indirecta y una Aplicación al Sistema Financiero Boliviano
[Liquidity Risk ," MPRA Paper 14247, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christos Agiakloglou & Charalampos Agiropoulos, 2011. "The sensitivity of Value-at-Risk estimates using Monte Carlo approach," SPOUDAI Journal of Economics and Business, SPOUDAI Journal of Economics and Business, University of Piraeus, vol. 61(1-2), pages 7-12, January -.
- CARPANTIER, Jean-François & DUFAYS, Arnaud, 2012. "Commodities volatility and the theory of storage," CORE Discussion Papers 2012037, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Kulp-Tåg, Sofie, 2007. "An Empirical Investigation of Value-at-Risk in Long and Short Trading Positions," Working Papers 526, Hanken School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kris Vajs).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.