Earnings forecasts and the predictability of stock returns: evidence from trading the S&P
AbstractWe develop a simple error-correction model, based on a well-known theory, espoused by Benjamin Graham and David Dodd and others, which presumes stock returns tend to restore an equilibrium relationship between the forecasted earnings yield on common stocks and the yield on bonds. The estimation uses I/B/E/S analysts forecasts of S&P earnings. To evaluate the model, we use rolling regressions to obtain out-of-sample forecasts of excess returns. Tests of association show the implicit timing signals to be statistically significant. Further, a strategy of investing in cash, when the excess return forecast is negative, and investing in the S&P, when the excess return forecast is positive, outperforms the S&P with higher returns and smaller volatility. Using the bootstrap methodology, we demonstrate that the findings are statistically significant.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) in its series Finance and Economics Discussion Series with number 1997-6.
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1988. "Dividend yields and expected stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-25, October.
- Josef Lakonishok & Robert W. Vishny & Andrei Shleifer, 1993.
"Contrarian Investment, Extrapolation, and Risk,"
NBER Working Papers
4360, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Josef Lakonishok & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1993. "Contrarian Investment, Extrapolation, and Risk," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 84, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Brock, William & Lakonishok, Josef & LeBaron, Blake, 1992.
" Simple Technical Trading Rules and the Stochastic Properties of Stock Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(5), pages 1731-64, December.
- Brock, W. & Lakonishok, J. & Lebaron, B., 1991. "Simple Technical Trading Rules And The Stochastic Properties Of Stock Returns," Working papers 90-22, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Donald B. Keim & Robert F. Stambaugh, .
"Predicting Returns in the Stock and Bond Markets,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
15-85, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1989. "Business conditions and expected returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 23-49, November.
- Eduardo Walker, 1998. "Mercado Accionario y Crecimiento Económico en Chile," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 35(104), pages 49-72.
- Christophe, Faugere, 2003. "A Required Yield Theory of Stock Market Valuation and Treasury Yield Determination," MPRA Paper 15579, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 04 Jun 2009.
- : Arie E. Gozluklu, 2012. "Inflation, Stock Market and Long-Term Investors: Real Effects of Changing Demographics," Working Papers wpn12-06, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- :Carol A. Favero & Arie E. Gozluklu & Andrea Tamoni, 2009. "Long-Run Factors and Fluctuations in Dividend/Price," Working Papers wpn09-04, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Alain Durré & Pierre Giot, 2007.
"An International Analysis of Earnings, Stock Prices and Bond Yields,"
Journal of Business Finance & Accounting,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3-4), pages 613-641.
- Alain Durré & Pierre Giot, 2005. "An international analysis of earnings, stock prices and bond yields," Working Paper Research 73, National Bank of Belgium.
- Durré, Alain & Giot, Pierre, 2005. "An international analysis of earnings, stock prices and bond yields," Working Paper Series 0515, European Central Bank.
- DURRE, Alain & GIOT, Pierre, . "An international analysis of earnings, stock prices and Bond yields," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1984, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- : Carlo A. Favero & : Arie E. Gozluklu & : Haoxi Yang, 2013.
"Demographics and The Behavior of Interest Rates,"
wpn13-10, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Terenzio Cozzi, 2005. "A reappraisal of Modgliani's finance theories," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 58(233-234), pages 215-235.
- Terenzio Cozzi, 2005. "A reappraisal of Modgliani's finance theories," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 58(233-234), pages 215-235.
- Marco Aiolfi & Carlo Ambrogio Favero, .
"Model Uncertainty, Thick Modelling and the predictability of Stock Returns,"
221, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Aiolfi, Marco & Favero, Carlo A, 2003. "Model Uncertainty, Thick Modelling and the Predictability of Stock Returns," CEPR Discussion Papers 3997, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pu Shen, 2002. "Market timing strategies that worked," Research Working Paper RWP 02-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Christophe Faugere & Julian Van Erlach, 2004.
"A General Theory of Stock Market Valuation and Return,"
0403004, EconWPA, revised 17 May 2004.
- Christophe Faugere & Julian Van Erlach, 2003. "A General Theory of Stock Market Valuation and Return," Finance 0311005, EconWPA, revised 17 May 2004.
- Terenzio Cozzi, 2005. "Una rivisitazione delle teorie di Modigliani sulla finanza," Moneta e Credito, Economia civile, vol. 58(230-231), pages 233-254.
- Koutmos, Dimitrios, 2012. "An intertemporal capital asset pricing model with heterogeneous expectations," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 1176-1187.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kris Vajs).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.