When do matched-model and hedonic techniques yield similar measures?
AbstractHedonic techniques were developed to control for quality differences across goods and over time in order to construct constant-quality aggregate price measures. When the available data are a panel of high-frequency data on models whose characteristics are constant over time, matched-model price indexes can also be used to obtain constant quality price measures. We show this by demonstrating that, given data of this type, certain matched-model indexes yield price measures that are numerically close to those obtained using hedonic techniques. ; * This paper is a condensed version of a paper that was presented at the CRIW workshop on Price Measurement at the NBER Summer Institute, July 31-August 1, 2000 and is available at http://www.nber.org.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco in its series Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory with number 2003-14.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995.
"Exact Hedonic Price Indexes,"
Department of Economics
95-11, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Makoto Ohta & Zvi Griliches, 1976. "Automobile Prices Revisited: Extensions of the Hedonic Hypothesis," NBER Chapters, in: Household Production and Consumption, pages 325-398 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ariel Pakes, 2002. "A Reconsideration of Hedonic Price Indices with an Application to PC's," NBER Working Papers 8715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Triplett, Jack E & McDonald, Richard J, 1977. "Assessing the Quality Error in Output Measures: The Case of Refrigerators," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 23(2), pages 137-56, June.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Zvi Griliches, 1990.
"Price Indexes for Microcomputers: An Exploratory Study,"
NBER Working Papers
3378, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Zvi Griliches, 1993. "Price Indexes for Microcomputers: An Exploratory Study," NBER Chapters, in: Price Measurements and Their Uses, pages 63-100 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berry, Steven & Levinsohn, James & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Automobile Prices in Market Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 841-90, July.
- Hausman, Jerry, 1999. "Cellular Telephone, New Products, and the CPI," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(2), pages 188-94, April.
- Robert J. Gordon, 2009.
"Apparel Prices 1914-93 and the Hulten/Bruegel Paradox,"
in: Price Index Concepts and Measurement, pages 85-128
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Gordon, 2005. "Apparel Prices 1914-93 and the Hulten/Brueghel Paradox," NBER Working Papers 11548, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan G. WHITE & Jaison R. ABEL & Ernst R. BERNDT & Cory W. MONROE, 2005.
"Hedonic Price Indexes for Personal Computer Operating Systems and Productivity Suites,"
Annales d'Economie et de Statistique,
ENSAE, issue 79-80, pages 787-807.
- Alan G. White & Jaison R. Abel & Ernst R. Berndt & Cory W. Monroe, 2010. "Hedonic Price Indexes for Personal Computer Operating Systems and Produtivity Suites," NBER Chapters, in: Contributions in Memory of Zvi Griliches, pages 787-807 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan G. White & Jaison R. Abel & Ernst R. Berndt & Cory W. Monroe, 2004. "Hedonic Price Indexes for Personal Computer Operating Systems and Productivity Suites," NBER Working Papers 10427, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Parkhomenko, Alexander & Redkina, Anastasia, 2006. "Эконометрические Оценки Гедонических Индексов Цен На Персональные Компьютеры В России: Пример Рынка Г. Екат�," MPRA Paper 1506, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 07 Nov 2006.
- Mark Doms, 2003.
"Communications equipment: what has happened to prices?,"
Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory
2003-15, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Mark Doms, 2005. "Communications Equipment: What Has Happened to Prices?," NBER Chapters, in: Measuring Capital in the New Economy, pages 323-362 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David M. Byrne & Brian K. Kovak & Ryan Michaels, 2013. "Price and quality dispersion in an offshoring market: evidence from semiconductor production services," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2013-06, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carol Corrado & Wendy Dunn & Maria Otoo, 2006. "Incentives and prices for motor vehicles: what has been happening in recent years?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2006-09, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ana Aizcorbe & Nicole Nestoriak, 2010. "Price Indexes for Drugs: A Review of the Issues," BEA Working Papers 0050, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diane Rosenberger).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.