International liquidity provision during the financial crisis: a view from Switzerland
AbstractWe document the provision of CHF liquidity by the Swiss National Bank (SNB) to banks domiciled outside Switzerland during the recent financial crisis. What makes the Swiss case special is the size of this liquidity provision—making up 80 percent of all short term CHF liquidity provided by the SNB—and also the measures that were adopted to distribute this liquidity. In addition to making CHF available to other central banks via SWAP facilities, the SNB also allows banks domiciled outside Switzerland to directly participate in its REPO transactions. Although this policy was adopted for reasons that predate the financial crisis, during the crisis it proved tremendously helpful as it gave the European banking system direct access to the primary funding facility for CHF.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas in its series Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper with number 75.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Raphael Auer & SÃ©bastien Kraenzlin, 2011. "International liquidity provision during the financial crisis: a view from Switzerland," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 409-418.
- NEP-ALL-2011-03-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2011-03-05 (Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2011-03-05 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2011-03-05 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2011-03-05 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard G. Anderson & Charles S. Gascon & Yang Liu, 2010. "Doubling your monetary base and surviving: some international experience," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 481-506.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Pasricha, Gurnain Kaur, 2010.
"Selective swap arrangements and the global financial crisis: Analysis and interpretation,"
International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 353-365, June.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Pasricha, Gurnain, 2009. "Selective Swap Arrangements and the Global Financial Crisis: Analysis and Interpretation," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt2vw7s14s, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Joshua Aizenman & Gurnain Kaur Pasricha, 2009. "Selective Swap Arrangements and the Global Financial Crisis: Analysis and Interpretation," NBER Working Papers 14821, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Basil Guggenheim & SÃ©bastien Philippe Kraenzlin & Silvio Schumacher, 2011. "Exploring an uncharted market: Evidence on the unsecured Swiss franc money market," Working Papers 2011-05, Swiss National Bank.
- Richard G. Anderson, 2006. "Monetary base," Working Papers, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis 2006-049, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Martin Brown & Steven Ongena & Pinar Yesin, 2009.
"Foreign Currency Borrowing by Small Firms,"
2009-02, Swiss National Bank.
- Brown, Martin & Ongena, Steven & Yesin, Pinar, 2009. "Foreign Currency Borrowing by Small Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 7540, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Beer, Christian & Ongena, Steven & Peter, Marcel, 2010.
"Borrowing in foreign currency: Austrian households as carry traders,"
Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 2198-2211, September.
- Christian Beer & Steven Ongena & Marcel Peter, 2008. "Borrowing in Foreign Currency: Austrian Households as Carry Traders," Working Papers 2008-19, Swiss National Bank.
- Raphael Auer & Sebastien Kraenzlin & David Liebeg, 2012. "How Do Austrian Banks Fund Their Swiss Franc Exposure?," Financial Stability Report, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 24, pages 54-61.
- Michael D. Bordo & Owen Humpage & Anna J. Schwartz, 2012.
"Epilogue: Foreign-Exchange-Market Operations in the Twenty-First Century,"
NBER Working Papers
17984, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael D. Bordo & Owen F. Humpage & Anna J. Schwartz, 2012. "Epilogue: foreign-exchange-market operations in the twenty-first century," Working Paper 1207, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- SÃ©bastien Philippe Kraenzlin & Thomas Nellen, 2012. "Access policy and money market segmentation," Working Papers 2012-12, Swiss National Bank.
- SÃ©bastien Philippe Kraenzlin & Benedikt von Scarpatetti, 2011. "Bargaining Power in the Repo Market," Working Papers 2011-14, Swiss National Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Chapman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.