Indexed debt contracts and the financial accelerator
AbstractThis paper addresses the positive and normative implications of indexing risky debt to observable aggregate conditions. These issues are pursued within the context of the celebrated financial accelerator model of Bernanke, Gertler and Gilchrist (1999). The principal conclusions are that the optimal degree of indexation is significant, and that the business cycle properties of the model are altered under this level of indexation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland in its series Working Paper with number 1117.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-09-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2011-09-16 (Banking)
- NEP-BEC-2011-09-16 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CBA-2011-09-16 (Central Banking)
- NEP-DGE-2011-09-16 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-FMK-2011-09-16 (Financial Markets)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Faia, Ester & Monacelli, Tommaso, 2007.
"Optimal interest rate rules, asset prices, and credit frictions,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 3228-3254, October.
- Tommaso Monacelli & Ester Faia, 2005. "Optimal Interest Rate Rules, Asset Prices and Credit Frictions," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 452, Society for Computational Economics.
- Goodfriend, Marvin & McCallum, Bennett T., 2007.
"Banking and interest rates in monetary policy analysis: A quantitative exploration,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(5), pages 1480-1507, July.
- Marvin Goodfriend & Bennett T. McCallum, 2007. "Banking and interest rates in monetary policy analysis: a quantitative exploration," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Marvin Goodfriend & Bennett T. McCallum, 2007. "Banking and Interest Rates in Monetary Policy Analysis: A Quantitative Exploration," NBER Working Papers 13207, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Suarez, Javier & Sussman, Oren, 1997.
"Endogenous Cycles in a Stiglitz-Weiss Economy,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 47-71, September.
- Timothy S. Fuerst & Charles T. Carlstrom, 1998. "Agency costs and business cycles," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 583-597.
- Olivier Jeanne & Anton Korinek, 2010.
"Excessive Volatility in Capital Flows: A Pigouvian Taxation Approach,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 100(2), pages 403-07, May.
- Olivier Jeanne & Anton Korinek, 2010. "Excessive Volatility in Capital Flows: A Pigouvian Taxation Approach," Working Paper Series WP10-5, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Olivier Jeanne & Anton Korinek, 2010. "Excessive Volatility in Capital Flows: A Pigouvian Taxation Approach," NBER Working Papers 15927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1998.
"The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework,"
NBER Working Papers
6455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben S. & Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1999. "The financial accelerator in a quantitative business cycle framework," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 21, pages 1341-1393 Elsevier.
- Guido Lorenzoni, 2008.
"Inefficient Credit Booms,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 75(3), pages 809-833.
- Fiorella De Fiore & Oreste Tristani, 2013.
"Optimal Monetary Policy in a Model of the Credit Channel,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 123(571), pages 906-931, 09.
- De Fiore, Fiorella & Tristani, Oreste, 2009. "Optimal monetary policy in a model of the credit channel," Working Paper Series 1043, European Central Bank.
- Matteo Iacoviello, 2005.
"House Prices, Borrowing Constraints, and Monetary Policy in the Business Cycle,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(3), pages 739-764, June.
- Matteo Iacoviello, 2002. "House prices, borrowing constraints and monetary policy in the business cycle," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 542, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 06 Dec 2004.
- Krishnamurthy, Arvind, 2003. "Collateral constraints and the amplification mechanism," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 277-292, August.
- repec:bla:restud:v:75:y:2008:i:3:p:809-833 is not listed on IDEAS
- Woon Gyu Choi & David Cook, 2010.
"Fire Sales and the Financial Accelerator,"
IMF Working Papers
10/141, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lee Faulhaber).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.