Efficiency in index options markets and trading in stock baskets
AbstractResearchers have reported mispricing in index options markets. This study further examines the efficiency of the S&P 500 index options market by testing theoretical pricing relationships implied by no-arbitrage conditions. The effect of a traded stock basket, Standard and Poor's Depository Receipts (SPDRs), on the link between index and options markets is also examined. Pricing efficiency within options markets improves, and the evidence supports the hypothesis that a stock basket enhances the connection between markets. However, when transactions costs and short sales constraints are included, very few violations of the pricing relationships are reported.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta in its series Working Paper with number 99-5.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Banking and Finance, September 2001
Other versions of this item:
- Ackert, Lucy F. & Tian, Yisong S., 2001. "Efficiency in index options markets and trading in stock baskets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1607-1634, September.
- NEP-ALL-2000-01-31 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1997.
" The Limits of Arbitrage,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 35-55, March.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995. "The Limits of Arbitrage," NBER Working Papers 5167, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer ad Robert W. Vishny, 1995. "The Limits of Arbitrage," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1725, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Ronn, Aimee Gerbarg & Ronn, Ehud I, 1989. "The Box Spread Arbitrage Conditions: Theory, Tests, and Investment Strategies," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 2(1), pages 91-108.
- Galai, Dan, 1977. "Tests of Market Efficiency of the Chicago Board Options Exchange," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 50(2), pages 167-97, April.
- Billingsley, Randall S & Chance, Don M, 1985. "Options Market Efficiency and the Box Spread Strategy," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 20(4), pages 287-301, November.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September.
- Harris, Lawrence & Sofianos, George & Shapiro, James E, 1994. "Program Trading and Intraday Volatility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(4), pages 653-85.
- Evnine, Jeremy & Rudd, Andrew, 1985. " Index Options: The Early Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 743-56, July.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Phillips, Susan M. & Smith, Clifford Jr., 1980. "Trading costs for listed options : The implications for market efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 179-201, June.
- Kamara, Avraham & Miller, Thomas W., 1995. "Daily and Intradaily Tests of European Put-Call Parity," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(04), pages 519-539, December.
- Baesel, Jerome B & Shows, George & Thorp, Edward, 1983. " The Cost of Liquidity Services in Listed Options: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 989-95, June.
- Massimo Massa & Theo Vermaelen & Moqi Xu, 2013. "Rights offerings, trading, and regulation: a global perspective," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 55403, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Ayla Ogus, 2005.
"Pricing Of S&P 100 Index Options Based On Garch Volatility Estimates,"
- Ayla Ogus, 2002. "Pricing of S&P 100 Index Options Based On Garch Volatility Estimates," Working Papers 0201, Izmir University of Economics.
- Carol Alexander & Andreza Barbosa, 2006. "Minimum Variance Hedging and Stock Index Market Efficiency," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2006-04, Henley Business School, Reading University, revised Sep 2006.
- Gianluca Cassesse & Massimo Guidolin, 2005. "Modelling the MIB30 implied volatility surface. Does market efficiency matter?," Working Papers 2005-008, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Alexander, C. & Barbosa, A., 2008. "Hedging index exchange traded funds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 326-337, February.
- Seppo Ikaheimo & Nuutti Kuosa & Vesa Puttonen, 2006. "'The True and Fair View' of Executive Stock Option Valuation," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 351-366.
- Carol Alexander & Andreza Barbosa, 2005. "Is Minimum Variance Hedging Necessary for Equity Indices? A study of Hedging and Cross-Hedging Exchange Traded Funds," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2005-16, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Jiang, George J. & Tian, Yisong S., 2010. "Misreaction or misspecification? A re-examination of volatility anomalies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 2358-2369, October.
- Diaw, Abdou & Hassan, Salwana & Ng Boon Ka, Adam, 2010. "Performance of Islamic and conventional exchange traded funds in Malaysia," MPRA Paper 32601, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Brunetti, Marianna & Torricelli, Costanza, 2005. "Put-call parity and cross-markets efficiency in the index options markets: evidence from the Italian market," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 508-532.
- Riva, Fabrice & Deville, Laurent, 2007.
"Liquidity and Arbitrage in Options Markets: A Survival Analysis Approach,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/1381, Paris Dauphine University.
- Laurent Deville & Fabrice Riva, 2007. "Liquidity and Arbitrage in Options Markets: A Survival Analysis Approach," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 11(3), pages 497-525.
- Laurent Deville & Fabrice Riva, 2007. "Liquidity and Arbitrage in Options Markets: A SurvivalAnalysis Approach," Post-Print halshs-00162221, HAL.
- Massimo Massa & Theo Vermaelen & Moqi Xu, 2013. "Rights offerings, trading, and regulation: A global perspective," FMG Discussion Papers dp727, Financial Markets Group.
- Ardia, David, 2007. "Tests d’arbitrage sur options: une analyse empirique des cotations de market-makers," DQE Working Papers 8, Department of Quantitative Economics, University of Freiburg/Fribourg Switzerland.
- Laurent Deville, 2008.
"Exchange Traded Funds: History, Trading and Research,"
- Deville, Laurent, 2008. "Exchange traded funds : history, trading and research," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/903, Paris Dauphine University.
- Carol Alexander & Andreza Barbosa, 2005. "The Spider in the Hedge," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2005-05, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Cassese, Gianluca & Guidolin, Massimo, 2006. "Modelling the implied volatility surface: Does market efficiency matter?: An application to MIB30 index options," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 145-178.
- Panayiotis Andreou & Chris Charalambous & Spiros Martzoukos, 2006. "Robust Artificial Neural Networks for Pricing of European Options," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 27(2), pages 329-351, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Meredith Rector).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.