Price discrimination and business-cycle risk
AbstractA parsimonious theoretical model of second degree price discrimination suggests that the business cycle will affect the degree to which firms are able to price-discriminate between different consumer types. We analyze price dispersion in the airline industry to assess how price discrimination can expose airlines to aggregate-demand fluctuations. Performing a panel analysis on seventeen years of data covering two business cycles, we find that price dispersion is highly procyclical. Estimates show that a rise in the output gap of 1 percentage point is associated with a 1.9 percent increase in the interquartile range of the price distribution in a market. These results suggest that markups move procyclically in the airline industry, such that during booms in the cycle, firms can significantly raise the markup charged to those with a high willingness to pay. The analysis suggests that this impact on firms' ability to price-discriminate results in additional profit risk, over and above the risk that comes from variations in cost.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta in its series Working Paper with number 2011-03.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2011-04-02 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2011-04-02 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-MAC-2011-04-02 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MIC-2011-04-02 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-MKT-2011-04-02 (Marketing)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Juan Pablo Herrera Saavedra & Jacobo Campo Robledo & Natalia Cantor Vargas & Jenny-Paola Lis-Gutiérrez, 2013.
"Una propuesta metodológica de discriminación de segundo grado: el caso de tarifas multiclase para el registro marcario en Colombia durante el año 2012,"
ESTUDIOS ECONÃMICOS SIC
010746, SUPERINTENDENCIA DE INDUSTRIA Y COMERCIO.
- Cantor Vargas, Natalia & Herrera Saavedra, Juan Pablo & Campo Robledo, Jacobo & Lis-Gutiérrez, Jenny-Paola, 2013.
"Una propuesta metodológica de discriminación de segundo grado: el caso de tarifas multiclase para el registro marcario en Colombia durante el año 2012
[A methodological proposal for second-degre," MPRA Paper 46271, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cantor Vargas, Natalia & Herrera Saavedra, Juan Pablo & Campo Robledo, Jacobo & Lis-Gutiérrez, Jenny-Paola, 2013. "Una propuesta metodológica de discriminación de segundo grado: el caso de tarifas multiclase para el registro marcario en Colombia durante el año 2012
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Meredith Rector).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.