Testing unit root based on partially adaptive estimation
AbstractThis paper proposes unit root tests based on partially adaptive estimation. The proposed tests provide an intermediate class of inference procedures that are more efficient than the traditional OLS-based methods and simpler than unit root tests based on fully adaptive estimation using nonparametric methods. Taking into account the well documented characteristic of heavy-tail behavior in economic and financial data, we consider unit root tests coupled with a class of partially adaptive M-estimators based on the student-t distributions, which includes the normal distribution as a limiting case. Monte Carlo experiments indicate that, in the presence of heavy tail distributions, the proposed test is more powerful than the traditional ADF test. We apply the proposed test to several macroeconomic time series that have heavy-tailed distributions. The unit root hypothesis is rejected in U.S. real GNP, supporting the literature of transitory shocks in output. However, evidence against unit root is not found in real exchange rate and nominal interest rate even when heavy-tail is taken into account.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil) in its series Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) with number 528.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Praia de Botafogo 190, sala 1100, Rio de Janeiro/RJ - CEP: 22253-900
Web page: http://epge.fgv.br
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Lima Luiz Renato & Xiao Zhijie, 2010. "Testing Unit Root Based on Partially Adaptive Estimation," Journal of Time Series Econometrics, De Gruyter, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-34, June.
- Luiz Renato Lima & Zhijie Xiao, 2004. "Testing Unit Root Based on Partially Adaptive Estimation," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings, Econometric Society 63, Econometric Society.
- C1 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-06-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2004-06-09 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2004-06-02 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Gordon, 1986. "The American Business Cycle: Continuity and Change," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number gord86-1.
- Campbell, John & Mankiw, Gregory, 1987.
"Are Output Fluctuations Transitory?,"
Scholarly Articles, Harvard University Department of Economics
3122545, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1986. "Are Output Fluctuations Transitory?," NBER Working Papers, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc 1916, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S., 1997. "Bandwidth Selection, Prewhitening, and the Power of the Phillips-Perron Test," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(05), pages 679-691, October.
- Flôres Junior, Renato Galvão, 2004. "On the use(fulness) of CGE modelling in trade negotiations and policy," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE), FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e FinanÃ§as, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil) 564, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Amélie Charles & Olivier Darné, 2010.
"A note on the uncertain trend in US real GNP: Evidence from robust unit root test,"
Working Papers, HAL
- Olivier Darné & Amélie Charles, 2012. "A note on the uncertain trend in US real GNP: Evidence from robust unit root tests," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, AccessEcon, vol. 32(3), pages 2399-2406.
- Charles, Amélie & Darné, Olivier, 2012. "Trends and random walks in macroeconomic time series: A reappraisal," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 167-180.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Núcleo de Computação da EPGE).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.