Structuralist macroeconomics and new developmentalism
AbstractThis paper, first, presents some basic ideas and models of a structuralist development macroeconomics that complements and actualizes the thought of structuralist development economics that was dominant between the 1940s and the 1960s including in the World Bank. The new approach focus on the relation between the exchange rate and economic growth, and develops three interrelated models: the tendency to the overvaluation of the exchange, the critique of growth with foreign savings, and a model of the Dutch disease based on the existence of two exchange rate equilibriums: the “current” and the “industrial” equilibrium. Second, it summarizes “new developmentalism” – a sum of growth policies based on these models and on the experience of fast growing Asian countries
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil) in its series Textos para discussão with number 298.
Date of creation: 04 Aug 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Rua Itapeva, 474, 13o andar, CEP 01332-000, São Paulo - SP
Phone: 55 (011) 3799-3350
Fax: 55 (011) 3799-3357
Web page: http://eesp.fgv.br
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-08-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-HPE-2011-08-15 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-PKE-2011-08-15 (Post Keynesian Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2011-08-15 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gala, Paulo Sérgio de Oliveira Simões & Pereira, Luiz Carlos Bresser, 2008.
"Why foreign savings fail to cause growth,"
Textos para discussÃ£o
159, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Luiz Carlos Bresser-Pereira, 2012.
"Why Economics Should Be a Modest and Reasonable Science,"
Journal of Economic Issues,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 46(2), pages 291-302, June.
- Bresser Pereira, Luiz Carlos, 2012. "Why economics should be a modest and reasonable science," Textos para discussÃ£o 306, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Alena Petrushkevich, 2013. "Russian Federation: Drivers and Challenges of Economic Growth and Development," Competence Centre on Money, Trade, Finance and Development 1305, Hochschule fuer Technik und Wirtschaft, Berlin.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Núcleo de Computação da EPGE).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.