Exchange Rate: Fix, Float, or Manage It?
AbstractThe Exchange Rate is the Most Strategic of the Four Macroeconomic Prices. it Determines not Only Exports and Imports, But Also Real Wages, Consumption and the Savings Rate. Conventional Theory Holds That it is Impossible to Manage It, and That the Only Alternatives are to Fix or to Float It. the Experience of the East Asian Countries, That Use it Strategically, Demonstrates That This Claim is False.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil) in its series Textos para discussão with number 135.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Rua Itapeva, 474, 13o andar, CEP 01332-000, São Paulo - SP
Phone: 55 (011) 3799-3350
Fax: 55 (011) 3799-3357
Web page: http://eesp.fgv.br
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael P. Dooley & David Folkerts-Landau & Peter Garber, 2003.
"An Essay on the Revived Bretton Woods System,"
NBER Working Papers
9971, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pereira, Luiz Carlos Bresser & Nakano, Yoshiaki, 2002. "Economic Growth With Foreign Saving?," Textos para discussÃ£o 118, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Paulo Gala, 2007. "Real Exchange Rate Levels And Economic Development: Theoretical Analysis And Empirical Evidence," Anais do XXXV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 35th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 037, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Luciano Nakabashi, 2010. "Thirlwall ou Solow? Uma análise para a economia brasileira entre 1947 e 2008," Working Papers 0110, Universidade Federal do Paraná, Department of Economics.
- Jinzhao Chen, 2012. "Real Exchange Rate and Economic Growth: Evidence from Chinese Provincial Data (1992 - 2008)," Working Papers halshs-00667467, HAL.
- Pereira, Luiz Carlos Bresser, 2006. "The Political Economy of Global Economic Disgovernance," Textos para discussÃ£o 151, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Pereira, Luiz Carlos Bresser & Brito, Marcio Holland de, 2009.
"Common currency and economic integration in mercosur,"
Textos para discussÃ£o
190, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Luiz Carlos Bresser-Pereira & Marcio Holland, 2009. "Common currency and economic integration in Mercosul," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 32(2), pages 213-234, December.
- Paulo Gala & Marcos Rocha, 2011. "Real exchange rates,domestic and foreign savings: the missing link," Anais do XXXVII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 37th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 76, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Jinzhao Chen, 2012. "Real Exchange Rate and Economic Growth: Evidence from Chinese Provincial Data (1992 - 2008)," PSE Working Papers halshs-00667467, HAL.
- Marcos Rocha & Paulo Gala, 2011. "Câmbio real, poupança doméstica e poupança externa: análise teórica e evidências empíricas [Real exchange rate, domestic savings and external savings: theoretical analysis and empirical eviden," Nova Economia, Economics Department, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (Brazil), vol. 21(3), pages 351-367, September.
- Eliane Cristina de Araújo, 2009. "Nível do Câmbio e Crescimento Econômico: Teorias e Evidências para Países em Desenvolvimento e Emergentes - 1980 - 2007," Discussion Papers 1425, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Núcleo de Computação da EPGE).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.