The implications of climate change for extreme weather events and their socio-economic consequences in Finland
AbstractThis publication reports on the main findings of the entire TOLERATE project, which was an integrated natural science ? social science project for the assessment of climate changed induced changes of extreme weather events and their social-economic consequences at a regional level. It includes regional projections of changes in climate conditions in Finland, with special reference to (short) periods with extremely abundant and extreme scant precipitation respectively. Based on these projections changes in river flood risks are assessed for two water shed areas by means of hydrological models. The resulting flood maps for events with different return times are subsequently evaluated with respect to their direct damage cost and with respect to the overall macroeconomic impacts in the region. With the aid of a group decision support system alternative flood risk mitigation options (investment alternatives) were preliminary explored with the aim to arrive at a ranking of alternatives based on a mix of criteria.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT) in its series Research Reports with number 158.
Date of creation: 07 Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- H43 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Project Evaluation; Social Discount Rate
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-09-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2010-09-11 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2010-09-11 (Environmental Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kimmo Marttila & Juha Honkatukia, 2011. "The effects of energy taxes on energy consumption in Finland between 1995 and 2004 - An historical analysis using the VATTAGE-model," Research Reports 162, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.