Informing the Financing of Universal Energy Access: An Assessment of Current Flows
AbstractEnergy poverty is widely recognized as a major obstacle to economic and social development and poverty alleviation. To help inform the design of appropriate and effective policies to reduce energy poverty, we present a brief analysis of the current macro financial flows in the electricity and gas distribution sectors in developing countries. We build on the methodology used to quantify the flows of investment in the climate change area. This methodology relies on national gross fixed capital formation, overseas development assistance, and foreign direct investment. These high-level and aggregated investment figures provide a sense of scale to policy-makers, but are only a small part of the information required to design financial vehicles. In addition, these figures tend to mask numerous variations between sectors and countries, as well as trends and other temporal fluctuations. Nonetheless, for the poorest countries, one can conclude that the current flows are considerably short (at least five times) of what will be required to provide a basic level of access to clean, modern energy services to the “energy poor”.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei in its series Working Papers with number 2011.56.
Date of creation: Jul 2011
Date of revision:
Energy Access; Energy Finance; Financial flows;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q4 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2011-10-09 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-ENE-2011-10-09 (Energy Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sergio L. Schmukler & Stijn Claessens, 2007.
"International Financial Integration Through Equity Markets: Which Firms from Which Countries Go Global?,"
IMF Working Papers
07/138, International Monetary Fund.
- Claessens, Stijn & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2007. "International financial integration through equity markets: Which firms from which countries go global?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 788-813, September.
- Claessens, Stijn & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2007. "International financial integration through equity markets : which firms from which countries go global ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4146, The World Bank.
- Claessens, Stijn & Schmukler, Sergio, 2007. "International Financial Integration through Equity Markets: Which Firms from Which Countries Go Global?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6137, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Noorbakhsh, Farhad & Paloni, Alberto & Youssef, Ali, 2001. "Human Capital and FDI Inflows to Developing Countries: New Empirical Evidence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1593-1610, September.
- Patrick Nussbaumer, Morgan Bazilian, Vijay Modi and Kandeh K. Yumkella, 2011. "Measuring Energy Poverty: Focusing on What Matters," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp042, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Ashoka Mody & Antu Panini Murshid, 2002.
"Growing Up With Capital Flows,"
IMF Working Papers
02/75, International Monetary Fund.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen, 1986. "Determinants of international trade flows : The Case of Developing Countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 107-123.
- Gelos, R. Gaston & Sahay, Ratna & Sandleris, Guido, 2011.
"Sovereign borrowing by developing countries: What determines market access?,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 243-254, March.
- Gaston Gelos & Guido Sandleris & Ratna Sahay, 2004. "Sovereign Borrowing by Developing Countries: What Determines Market Access?," IMF Working Papers 04/221, International Monetary Fund.
- R. Gaston Gelos, Ratna Sahay and Guido Sandleris, 2008. "Sovereign Borrowing by Developing Countries: What Determines Market Access?," Business School Working Papers 2008-02, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Mishkin, Frederic S., 2009. "Globalization and financial development," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 164-169, July.
- Kinda, Tidiane, 2010. "Investment Climate and FDI in Developing Countries: Firm-Level Evidence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 498-513, April.
- Odedokun, M. O., 1996. "International evidence on the effects of directed credit programmes on efficiency of resource allocation in developing countries: The case of development bank lendings," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 449-460, March.
- Nicola Armacost & Daniel Magallon & Guadalupe López de Llergo & María Sanchez & Katleen Felix, 2009. "Financing Sustainable Energy through Remittance Flows in Haiti and the Dominican Republic," IDB Publications 8436, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Rui Albuquerque, 2004.
"The Composition of International Capital Flows: Risk Sharing Through Foreign Direct Investment,"
- Albuquerque, Rui, 2003. "The composition of international capital flows: risk sharing through foreign direct investment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 353-383, December.
- Malcolm D. Knight, 1998. "Developing Countries and the Globalization of Financial Markets," IMF Working Papers 98/105, International Monetary Fund.
- Kasuga, Hidefumi, 2007. "Evaluating the impacts of foreign direct investment, aid and saving in developing countries," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 213-228, March.
- Kim, Yoonbai, 2000. "Causes of capital flows in developing countries," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 235-253, April.
- Singh, Ajit & Zammit, Ann, 2000. "International Capital Flows: Identifying the Gender Dimension," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1249-1268, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.