International Environmental Agreements in the Presence of Adaptation
AbstractWe show that adaptive measures undertaken by countries in the face of climate change, apart from directly reducing the damage caused by climate change, may also indirectly mitigate greenhouse gas emissions by increasing the stable size of international agreements on emission reductions. Moreover, we show that the more effective the adaptive measure in terms of reducing the marginal damage from emissions, the larger the stable size of the international environmental agreement. In addition, we show that larger coalitions, in the presence of adaptation, may lead to lower global emission levels and higher welfare.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei in its series Working Papers with number 2011.35.
Date of creation: Apr 2011
Date of revision:
International Environmental Agreements; Adaptation; Coalition Formation; Climate Change;
Other versions of this item:
- Marrouch, W. & Ray Chaudhuri, A., 2011. "International Environmental Agreements in the Presence of Adaptation," Discussion Paper 2011-023, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ray Chaudhuri, A. & Marrouch, W., 2011. "International Environmental Agreements in the Presence of Adaptation," Discussion Paper 2011-012, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Walid Marrouch & Amrita Ray Chaudhuri, 2011. "International Environmental Agreements in the Presence of Adaptation," CIRANO Working Papers 2011s-32, CIRANO.
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters
- Q59 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-05-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2011-05-14 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2011-05-14 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kelly C. de Bruin & Rob B. Dellink & Richard S.J. Tol, 2007.
"AD-DICE: An Implementation of Adaptation in the DICE Mode,"
2007.51, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Kelly C. de Bruin & Rob B. Dellink & Richard S.J. Tol, 2007. "AD-DICE: an implementation of adaptation in the DICE model," Working Papers FNU-126, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Feb 2007.
- S. De Cara & Gilles Rotillon, 2003. "Multigreenhouse gas international agreements," THEMA Working Papers 2003-13, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- de Zeeuw, Aart, 2008.
"Dynamic effects on the stability of international environmental agreements,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 163-174, March.
- Aart de Zeeuw, 2005. "Dynamic Effects on the Stability of International Environmental Agreements," Working Papers 2005.41, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Kelly de Bruin & Rob Dellink & Shardul Agrawala, 2009. "Economic Aspects of Adaptation to Climate Change: Integrated Assessment Modelling of Adaptation Costs and Benefits," OECD Environment Working Papers 6, OECD Publishing.
- Claude d'Aspremont & Alexis Jacquemin & Jean Jaskold Gabszewicz & John A. Weymark, 1983.
"On the Stability of Collusive Price Leadership,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 16(1), pages 17-25, February.
- Heuson, Clemens & Gawel, Erik & Gebhardt, Oliver & Hansjürgens, Bernd & Lehmann, Paul & Meyer, Volker & Schwarze, Reimund, 2012. "Ökonomische Grundfragen der Klimaanpassung: Umrisse eines neuen Forschungsprogramms," UFZ Reports 02/2012, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ).
- Heuson, Clemens & Gawel, Erik & Gebhardt, Oliver & Hansjürgens, Bernd & Lehmann, Paul & Meyer, Volker & Schwarze, Reimund, 2012. "Fundamental questions on the economics of climate adaptation: Outlines of a new research programme," UFZ Reports 05/2012, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ).
- repec:old:wpaper:344 is not listed on IDEAS
- Klaus Eisenack & Leonhard Kähler, 2012. "Unilateral emission reductions can lead to Pareto improvements when adaptation to damages is possible," Working Papers V-344-12, University of Oldenburg, Department of Economics, revised Jan 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.