Stringency and Distribution in the EU Emissions Trading Scheme –The 2005 Evidence
AbstractWith the release of the verified emissions for installations covered by the EU Emissions Trading Scheme for the first trading year 2005 we are able to compare actual emissions and allowances for each installation. Based on data available for 24 Member States as of January 2007, this paper uses a thorough data analysis for about 9,900 installations to investigate evidence on three issues: first, the stringency of the total allocation cap and allocation differences both among the Member States and a selection of emission intensive sectors; second, the distribution of the size of installations; and third, the spread of allocation discrepancies and possible allocation biases regarding the size of installations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei in its series Working Papers with number 2007.22.
Date of creation: Feb 2007
Date of revision:
Emission Trading; EU Emissions Trading Scheme; Climate Policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- Q51 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Valuation of Environmental Effects
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-04-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2007-04-09 (European Economics)
- NEP-ENE-2007-04-09 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2007-04-09 (Environmental Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bushnell, James & Mansur, Erin T. & Chong, Howard G., 2010.
"Profiting from Regulation: An Event Study of the EU Carbon Market,"
Staff General Research Papers
32737, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- James B. Bushnell & Howard Chong & Erin T. Mansur, 2009. "Profiting from Regulation: An Event Study of the EU Carbon Market," NBER Working Papers 15572, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bushnell, James & Chong, Howard G. & Mansur, Erin T., 2009. "Profiting from Regulation: An Event Study of the EU Carbon Market," Staff General Research Papers 13139, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Claudia Kettner & Daniela Kletzan-Slamanig & Angela Köppl, 2013. "The EU Emission Trading Scheme. Sectoral Allocation Patterns and Factors Determining Emission Changes," WIFO Working Papers 444, WIFO.
- Thijs Jong & Oscar Couwenberg & Edwin Woerdman, 2013. "Does the EU ETS Bite? The Impact of Allowance Over-Allocation on Share Prices," RSCAS Working Papers 2013/54, European University Institute.
- Clò, Stefano, 2010. "Grandfathering, auctioning and Carbon Leakage: Assessing the inconsistencies of the new ETS Directive," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 2420-2430, May.
- Philippe Quirion & Damien Demailly, 2008. "Changing the Allocation Rules in the EU ETS: Impact on Competitiveness and Economic Efficiency," Working Papers 2008.89, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Oberndorfer, Ulrich, 2008. "EU Emission Allowances and the Stock Market: Evidence from the Electricity Industry," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-059, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Barry Anderson & Corrado Di Maria, 2011.
"Abatement and Allocation in the Pilot Phase of the EU ETS,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 48(1), pages 83-103, January.
- Corrado Di Maria & Barry Anderson & Frank Convery, 2009. "Abatement and Allocation in the Pilot Phase of the EU ETS," Working Papers 2009.110, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Misato Sato & Karsten Neuhoff & Verena Graichen & Katja Schumacher & Felix Matthes, 2013. "Sectors under scrutiny – Evaluation of indicators to assess the risk of carbon leakage in the UK and Germany," Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment Working Papers 113, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Monjon, Stéphanie & Quirion, Philippe, 2011.
"Addressing leakage in the EU ETS : Border adjustment or output-based allocation ?,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/7346, Paris Dauphine University.
- Monjon, Stéphanie & Quirion, Philippe, 2011. "Addressing leakage in the EU ETS: Border adjustment or output-based allocation?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(11), pages 1957-1971, September.
- Stéphanie Monjon & Philippe Quirion, 2010. "Addressing leakage in the EU ETS : Border adjustment or output-based allocation ?," CIRED Working Papers hal-00866444, HAL.
- Stéphanie Monjon & Philippe Quirion, 2010. "Addressing leakage in the EU ETS : Border adjustment or output-based allocation ?," Working Papers hal-00866444, HAL.
- Claudia Kettner & Daniela Kletzan-Slamanig & Angela Köppl, 2011. "The EU Emission Trading Scheme. Allocation Patterns and Trading Flows," WIFO Working Papers 402, WIFO.
- Anger, Niels & Oberndorfer, Ulrich, 2008. "Firm performance and employment in the EU emissions trading scheme: An empirical assessment for Germany," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 12-22, January.
- Claudia Kettner & Daniela Kletzan-Slamanig & Angela Köppl, 2011. "ETCLIP – The Challenge of the European Carbon Market: Emission Trading, Carbon Leakage and Instruments to Stabilise the CO2 Price. The EU Emission Trading Scheme: Sectoral Allocation Patterns and th," WIFO Working Papers 408, WIFO.
- Tomáš Brzobohatý & Petr Janský, 2010. "Impact of CO 2 Emissions Reductions on Firms’ Finance in an Emerging Economy: The Case of the Czech Republic," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 17(4), pages 725-736, December.
- Wilfried Rickels & Vicki Duscha & Andreas Keller & Sonja Peterson, 2007. "The determinants of allowance prices in the European Emissions Trading Scheme - Can we expect an efficient allowance market 2008?," Kiel Working Papers 1387, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.