Klum@Gtap: Introducing Biophysical Aspects of Land-Use Decisions Into a General Equilibrium Model A Coupling Experiment
AbstractIn this paper the global agricultural land use model KLUM is coupled to an extended version of the computable general equilibrium model (CGE) GTAP in order to consistently assess the integrated impacts of climate change on global cropland allocation and its implication for economic development. The methodology is innovative as it introduces dynamic economic land-use decisions based also on the biophysical aspects of land into a state-of-the-art CGE; it further allows the projection of resulting changes in cropland patterns on a spatially more explicit level. A convergence test and illustrative future simulations underpin the robustness and potentials of the coupled system. Reference simulations with the uncoupled models emphasize the impact and relevance of the coupling; the results of coupled and uncoupled simulations can differ by several hundred percent.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei in its series Working Papers with number 2006.102.
Date of creation: Aug 2006
Date of revision:
Land-Use Change; Computable General Equilibrium Modeling; Integrated Assessment; Climate Change;
Other versions of this item:
- Kerstin Ronneberger & Maria Berrittella & Francesco Bosello & Richard S.J. Tol, 2006. "KLUM@GTAP: Introducing biophysical aspects of land-use decisions into a general equilibrium model: A coupling experiment," Working Papers, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University FNU-105, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised May 2006.
- C68 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computable General Equilibrium Models
- Q15 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Land Ownership and Tenure; Land Reform; Land Use; Irrigation; Agriculture and Environment
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2006-10-07 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2006-10-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2006-10-07 (Computational Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- W. J. McKibbin & P. J. Wilcoxen, .
"The Theoretical and Empirical Structure of the G-Cubed Model,"
Discussion Papers, Brookings Institution International Economics
118, Brookings Institution International Economics.
- McKibbin, Warwick J. & Wilcoxen, Peter J., 1998. "The theoretical and empirical structure of the G-Cubed model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 123-148, January.
- McKibbin, W.J. & Wilcoxen, P.J., 1995. "The Theoretical and Empirical Structure of the G-Cubed Model," Papers, Brookings Institution - Working Papers 118, Brookings Institution - Working Papers.
- Kerstin Ronneberger & Uwe A. Schneider & Richard S.J. Tol, 2005. "Klum: A Simple Model Of Global Agricultural Land Use As A Coupling Tool Of Economy And Vegetation," Working Papers, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University FNU-65, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised May 2005.
- Darwin, Roy & Tsigas, Marinos E. & Lewandrowski, Jan & Raneses, Anton, 1995. "World Agriculture and Climate Change: Economic Adaptations," Agricultural Economics Reports, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service 33933, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Burniaux, Jean-Marc & Truong Truong, 2002. "GTAP-E: An Energy-Environmental Version of the GTAP Model," GTAP Technical Papers 923, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Lee, Huey-Lin & Thomas Hertel & Brent Sohngen & Navin Ramankutty, 2005. "Towards An Integrated Land Use Database for Assessing the Potential for Greenhouse Gas Mitigation," GTAP Technical Papers 1900, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Vitezslav Pisa & Jan Bruha & Vitezslav Pisa, 2011. "Dynamics of the Commodity Prices and Quantities: An Analysis using a Dynamic Multiregional CGE Model," EcoMod2011 2889, EcoMod.
- Gary W. Yohe & Richard S.J. Tol & Dean Murphy, 2007. "On Setting Near-term Climate Policy while the Dust Begins to Settle: The Legacy of the Stern Review," Working Papers, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University FNU-129, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Mar 2007.
- Eduardo A. Haddad & Alexandre A. Porsse, Paula C. Pereda, 2012.
"Territorial Economic Impacts of Climate Anomalies in Brazil,"
Working Papers, Department of Economics, University of SÃ£o Paulo (FEA-USP)
2012_20, University of SÃ£o Paulo (FEA-USP).
- Alexandre Porsse & Eduardo Haddad & Paula Pereda, 2013. "Territorial Economic Impacts of Climate Anomalies in Brazil," ERSA conference papers ersa13p705, European Regional Science Association.
- Alexandre Alves Porsse & Eduardo Amaral Haddad & Paula Carvalho Pereda, 2014. "Territorial Economic Impacts Of Climateanomalies In Brazil," Anais do XL Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 40th Brazilian Economics Meeting], ANPEC - AssociaÃ§Ã£o Nacional dos Centros de PÃ³sgraduaÃ§Ã£o em Economia [Brazilian Association of Grad 196, ANPEC - AssociaÃ§Ã£o Nacional dos Centros de PÃ³sgraduaÃ§Ã£o em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Thierry Brunelle & Patrice Dumas, 2012. "Can Numerical Models Estimate Indirect Land-use Change?," Working Papers, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei 2012.65, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Beckman, Jayson & Hertel, Thomas & Tyner, Wallace, 2011. "Validating energy-oriented CGE models," Energy Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 799-806, September.
- Burrell, Alison M., 2008. "Art or science? The challenges of publishing peer reviewed papers based on linked models," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 57(8).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.