The Pigouvian Tax Rule in the Presence of an Eco-Industry
AbstractPollution abatement goods and services are now largely being delivered by a specialized “eco-industry.” This note reconsiders Pigouvian taxes in this context. We find that the optimal emission tax will depart from the marginal social cost of pollution according to the polluters’ and the environment firms’ relative market power.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei in its series Working Papers with number 2005.57.
Date of creation: Apr 2005
Date of revision:
Pigouvian taxes; Environment industry;
Other versions of this item:
- Alain-DÃ©sirÃ© Nimubona & Bernard Sinclair-DesgagnÃ©, 2013. "The Pigouvian Tax Rule in the Presence of an Eco-Industry," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(1), pages 747-752.
- Alain-DÃ©sirÃ© Nimubona & Bernard Sinclair-DesgagnÃ©, 2005. "The Pigouvian Tax Rule in the Presence of an Eco-Industry," CIRANO Working Papers, CIRANO 2005s-21, CIRANO.
- Alain-DÃ©sirÃ© Nimubona & Bernard Sinclair-DesgagnÃ©, 2005. "The Pigouvian Tax Rule in the Presence of an Eco-Industry," Working Papers hal-00243020, HAL.
- H23 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Externalities; Redistributive Effects; Environmental Taxes and Subsidies
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-04-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2005-04-24 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-PBE-2005-04-24 (Public Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2005-04-24 (Public Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Katsoulacos, Yannis & Xepapadeas, Anastasios, 1994.
"Environmental Policy Under Oligopoly with Endogenous Market Structure,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
955, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Katsoulacos, Yannis & Xepapadeas, Anastasios, 1995. " Environmental Policy under Oligopoly with Endogenous Market Structure," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(3), pages 411-20, September.
- Stephen Smith, 1992. "Taxation and the environment: a survey," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 13(4), pages 21-57, January.
- Barnett, A H, 1980. "The Pigouvian Tax Rule under Monopoly," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 1037-41, December.
- Maia David & Bernard Sinclair-DesgagnÃ©, 2004.
"Environmental Regulation and the Eco-industry,"
CIRANO Working Papers, CIRANO
- Maia David & Bernard Sinclair-DesgagnÃ©, 2004. "Environmental Regulation and the Eco-Industry," Working Papers, INRA, Economie Publique 2004/06, INRA, Economie Publique.
- Maia David & Bernard Sinclair-DesgagnÃ©, 2005. "Environmental regulation and the eco-industry," Working Papers hal-00243019, HAL.
- Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné & Maia David, 2005. "Environmental Regulationand the Eco-Industry," Working Papers, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei 2005.56, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Kort, P.M. & Farzin, Y.H., 2000.
"Pollution abatement investment when environmental regulation is uncertain,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-84064, Tilburg University.
- Farzin, Y H & Kort, P M, 2000. " Pollution Abatement Investment When Environmental Regulation Is Uncertain," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 2(2), pages 183-212.
- Morgenstern, Richard, 1995. "Environmental Taxes: Dead or Alive?," Discussion Papers, Resources For the Future dp-96-03, Resources For the Future.
- Buchanan, James M, 1969. "External Diseconomies, Corrective Taxes, and Market Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 59(1), pages 174-77, March.
- Ngo Van Long & Antoine Soubeyran, 1998. "Pollution, Pigouvian Taxes, and Asymmetric International Oligopoly," CIRANO Working Papers, CIRANO 98s-30, CIRANO.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.