Children's altruism in public good and dictator experiments
AbstractWe examine the development of altruistic and free-riding behavior in 6-12-year-old children. We find that the level of altruistic behavior in children is similar to that of adults but that repetition has a different effect. Younger children's contributions tend to increase in later rounds of the experiments, whereas the contributions of older children, like those of adults, tend to decline. Group attachment is associated with higher contributions. Contributions in a subsequent dictator experiment are correlated with first-roundn contributions in the public good experiment, but are not strongly correlated with last-round contributions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Field Experiments Website in its series Artefactual Field Experiments with number 00054.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fieldexperiments.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cipriani, Marco & Giuliano, Paola & Jeanne, Olivier, 2013.
"Like mother like son? Experimental evidence on the transmission of values from parents to children,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 90(C), pages 100-111.
- Cipriani, Marco & Giuliano, Paola & Jeanne, Olivier, 2007. "Like Mother Like Son? Experimental Evidence on the Transmission of Values from Parents to Children," IZA Discussion Papers 2768, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cipriani, Marco & Giuliano, Paola & Jeanne, Olivier, 2007. "Like Mother Like Son? Experimental Evidence on the Transmission of Values from Parents to Children," CEPR Discussion Papers 6305, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Friesen, Jane & Arifovic, Jasmina & Wright, Stephen C. & Ludwig, Andreas & Giamo, Lisa & Baray, Gamze, 2012. "Ethnic identity and discrimination among children," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1156-1169.
- Sutter, Matthias & Kocher, Martin G., 2007.
"Trust and trustworthiness across different age groups,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 364-382, May.
- Matthias Sutter & Martin Kocher, 2007. "Trust and trustworthiness across different age groups," Artefactual Field Experiments 00110, The Field Experiments Website.
- Eric Bettinger & Robert Slonim, 2005.
"Using Experimental Economics to Measure the Effects of a Natural Educational Experiment on Altruism,"
NBER Working Papers
11725, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bettinger, Eric & Slonim, Robert, 2006. "Using experimental economics to measure the effects of a natural educational experiment on altruism," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(8-9), pages 1625-1648, September.
- Eric Bettinger & Robert Slonim, 2006. "Using experimental economics to measure the effects of a natural educational experiment on altruism," Artefactual Field Experiments 00008, The Field Experiments Website.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joe Seidel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.