Communication and co-operation in a common-pool resource dilemma: A field experiment
AbstractWe test in a laboratory experiment three regulations imposed on a common-pool resource game: an access fee and subsidy scheme, transferable quotas and non-transferable quotas. Theory predicts that they all reduce resource use from free access to the same target level without hurting users. We find that all regulations perform equally in reducing resources, although with more variance under the fee scheme. All fail to make all the users better off. The fee scheme performs better than transferable quotas in sorting out the most efficient users but at the cost of hurting them more often.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Field Experiments Website in its series Artefactual Field Experiments with number 00031.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fieldexperiments.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bernal-Escobar, Adriana & Cuervo-Sánchez, Rafael & Pinzon-Trujillo, Gonzalo & Maldonado, Jorge H., 2013. "Glacier Melting and Retreat: Understanding the Perception of Agricultural Households That Face the Challenges of Climate Change," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149005, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Cardenas, Juan Camilo & Rodriguez, Luz Angela & Johnson, Nancy, 2011.
"Collective action for watershed management: field experiments in Colombia and Kenya,"
Environment and Development Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(03), pages 275-303, June.
- Juan Camilo Cárdenas & Luz Ángela Rodríguez & Nancy Johnson, 2009. "Collective Action forWatershed Management: Field Experiments in Colombia and Kenya," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 006649, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Cardenas, Juan-Camilo & Rodriguez, Luz Angela & Johnson, Nancy L., 2009. "Collective Action for Watershed Management: Field Experiments in Colombia and Kenya," Documentos CEDE Series 91169, Universidad de Los Andes, Economics Department.
- Adriana Bernal Escobar & Rafael Cuervo & Gonzalo Pinzón Trujillo & Jorge H. Maldonado., 2013. "Derretimiento y Retroceso Glaciar: Entendiendo la Percepción de los Hogares Agrícolas que se Enfrentan a los Desafíos del Cambio Climático," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 010679, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Juan Cardenas, 2011. "Social Norms and Behavior in the Local Commons as Seen Through the Lens of Field Experiments," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 48(3), pages 451-485, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joe Seidel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.