Temporary Employment and Segmentation in the Spanish Labour Market: An Empirical Analysis through the Study of Wage Differentials
AbstractWe intend to add empirical evidence to the already studied field of wage differentials between temporary and permanent workers in Spain. Our aim is to find out which determinants of wage differentials are relevant when explaining such differences. Besides, the endogeneity of such feature (the type of contract) is controlled for. The same exercise is done with two data sets: the ECHP and the Structure of Earnings Survey. Results show that wage differentials between temporary and permanent workers are explained by the differences in the distribution of personal and job characteristics in both groups, but not by differences in the rewards to those characteris.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDEA in its series Working Papers with number 2002-26.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fedea.net
Other versions of this item:
- María A.Davia & Virginia Hernanz, 2004. "Temporary employment and segmentation in the Spanish labour market: An empirical analysis through the study of wage differentials," Spanish Economic Review, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 291-318, December.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Dolado, Juan José & Bentolila, Samuel, 1994. "Labour Flexibility and Wages : lessons from Spain," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/3309, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Juan F. Jimeno & Luis Toharia, 1993. "The effects of fixed-term employment on wages: theory and evidence from Spain," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 17(3), pages 475-494, September.
- Arrow, Kenneth J., 1973. "Higher education as a filter," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 193-216, July.
- Matteo PICCHIO, 2006.
"Wage Differentials between Temporary and Permanent Workers in Italy,"
257, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Picchio, M., 2006. "Wage differentials between temporary and permanent workers in Italy," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-5573982, Tilburg University.
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes & Sara de la Rica, 2009.
"The timing of work and work-family conflicts in Spain sho has a split work schedule and why?,"
- Amuedo-Dorantes, Catalina & de la Rica, Sara, 2009. "The Timing of Work and Work-Family Conflicts in Spain: Who Has a Split Work Schedule and Why?," IZA Discussion Papers 4542, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ignacio García-Pérez & Juan F. Jimeno, 2005.
"Public sector wage gaps in Spanish regions,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
0526, Banco de Espa�a.
- Juan Prieto & Juan Gabriel Rodríguez & Rafael Salas, . "Polarization, Inequality and Tax Reforms," Working Papers 2003-23, FEDEA.
- Takuya Hasebe, 2011. "The Type of Contract and Starting Wage and Wage Growth: The Evidence from New Graduates from Post-Secondary Schools in the Netherlands," Working Papers 20, AlmaLaurea Inter-University Consortium.
- Jesús CLEMENTE & Millán DIAZ-FONCEA & Carmen MARCUELLO & Marcos SANSO-NAVARRO, 2012. "The Wage Gap Between Cooperative And Capitalist Firms: Evidence From Spain," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 83(3), pages 337-356, 09.
- McGinnity, Frances & Mertens, Antje, 2002. "Fixed-term contracts in East and West Germany: Low wages, poor prospects?," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2002,72, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Bosio, Giulio, 2009. "Temporary employment and wage gap with permanent jobs: evidence from quantile regression," MPRA Paper 16055, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rudy Fichtenbaum, 2006. "Labour market segmentation and union wage gaps," Review of Social Economy, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 64(3), pages 387-420.
- Mauricio Zunino, 2012. "Impactos de la reinstauración de los Consejos de Salarios sobre la distribución salarial en Uruguay," Económica, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, vol. 0, pages 129-167, January-D.
- Cervini-Plá, María & Ramos, Xavi, 2008.
"Long Term Earnings Inequality, Earnings Instability and Temporary Employment in Spain: 1993–2000,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3538, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- María Cervini-Plá & Xavier Ramos, 2012. "Long-Term Earnings Inequality, Earnings Instability and Temporary Employment in Spain: 1993–2000," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 50(4), pages 714-736, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.