Internal migration in Spain
AbstractInternal migration rates in Spain, in particular interregional ones, are relatively low in comparison with those in other developed countries, in spite of persistent sizeable differences in per capita income and unemployment rates across its regions. In this paper I describe the evolution of Spanish internal migration rates, both inter- and intra- regional, in the last forty years, I survey the demographic, institutional, and economic factors which help to explain such evolution, I list their economic effects, and I discuss the sorts of economic policies which could be adopted so as to affect them, linking those policies to foreign immigration flows.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDEA in its series Working Papers with number 2001-07.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fedea.net
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Consuelo Gámez Amián & José Ignacio García Pérez, 2002. "Flujos Migratorios entre provincias andaluzas y entre éstas y el resto de España," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2002/01, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher Pissarides, 2000.
"Looking into the black box: a survey of the matching function,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2122, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Christopher A. Pissarides & Barbara Petrongolo, 2001. "Looking into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 390-431, June.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Looking Into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," CEP Discussion Papers dp0470, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Petrongolo, Barbara & Pissarides, Christopher, 2000. "Looking Into The Black Box: A Survey Of The Matching Function," CEPR Discussion Papers 2409, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raquel Fonseca, 2003. "On the Interaction between Unemployment and Inter-regional Mobility," CSEF Working Papers 105, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Samuel Bentolila & Pierre Cahuc & Juan Jose Dolado & Thomas Le Barbanchon, 2010.
"Two-Tier Labor Markets in the Great Recession: France vs. Spain,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3269, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bentolila, Samuel & Cahuc, Pierre & Dolado, Juan J. & Le Barbanchon, Thomas, 2010. "Two-Tier Labor Markets in the Great Recession: France vs. Spain," CEPR Discussion Papers 8152, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bentolila, Samuel & Cahuc, Pierre & Dolado, Juan J. & Le Barbanchon, Thomas, 2010. "Two-Tier Labor Markets in the Great Recession: France vs. Spain," IZA Discussion Papers 5340, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Samuel Bentolila & Pierre Cahuc & Juan J. Dolado & Thomas Le Barbanchon, 2010. "Two-Tier Labor Markets In The Great Recession: France Vs. Spain," Working Papers wp2010_1009, CEMFI.
- Ismael Ahamdanech Zarco & Carmelo García Pérez & Hipólito Simón Pérez, 2010.
"Wage inequality in Spain: A regional perspective,"
2010/24, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Elisenda Paluzie & Jordi Pons & Javier Silvestre & Daniel Tirado, 2009. "Migrants and market potential in Spain over the twentieth century: a test of the new economic geography," Spanish Economic Review, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 243-265, December.
- Björn Alecke & Timo Mitze & Gerhard Untiedt, 2010.
"Internal migration, regional labour market dynamics and implications for German East-West disparities: results from a Panel VAR,"
Jahrbuch für Regionalwissenschaft,
Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 159-189, September.
- Björn Alecke & Timo Mitze & Gerhard Untiedt, 2009. "Internal Migration, Regional Labour Market Dynamics and Implications for German East-West Disparities – Results from a Panel VAR," Ruhr Economic Papers 0096, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Fonseca, Raquel & Muñoz, Rafael, 1999.
"Can the Matching Model Account for Spanish Unemployment ?,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
1999012, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Raquel Fonseca & Rafael Muñoz, 2003. "Can the matching model account for Spanish unemployment?," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 27(2), pages 277-308, May.
- Fonseca, Raquel & Munoz, Rafael, 2002. "Can the matching model account for Spanish unemployment?," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 0203, CEPREMAP.
- Stephen Nickell, 1999. "Finnish unemployment : a view from outside," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 12(2), pages 62-81, Autumn.
- Jacobo de Uña Álvarez & Gema Álvarez Llorente & Mª Soledad Otero Giráldez, 2004. "Estimation of time spent in unemployment for married women: An application at regional level," Working Papers 0410, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.