Over-simplification and tractability in quasi-linear neg models
AbstractAn inconsistency is found in the demand side of the NEG models developed in PflÃ¼ger (2004) that follows from the absence of a non-negativity constraint on the consumption of agricultural goods. This seriously weakens the results of the original paper and those of ensuing contributions in PflÃ¼ger and SÃ¼dekum (2008a,b). A solution to this problem is developed which imposes severe restrictions on the relative size of two of the core model parameters, the implications of which are examined.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE) in its series Documents de Travail de l'OFCE with number 2009-14.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- John Pierson & Sylvain Barde, 2009. "Over-simplification and tractability in quasi-linear neg models," Sciences Po publications 2009-14, Sciences Po.
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-09-26 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesco Saraceno).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.