If it’s Broken, Don’t Fix it: The Government of the Euro area in the EU “Reform Treaty”
AbstractThe government of the Euro area â the institutions, objectives and instruments of the regional area pooling together the monetary sovereignty of the 13 EU member states that share the euro â was obviously the blind spot in the otherwise animated negotiations of the sessions of the European Convention, and then of the Intergovernmental Conference in 2004. What seemed then a missed opportunity now looks like a major collective failure. This paper examines the reforms of the âeconomic governanceâ of the euro area proposed by the âTreaty amending the Treaty on European Union and the Treaty establishing the European Communityâ (also called the âReform Treatyâ) and concludes that they do not match the challenges faced collectively by the euro area economies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE) in its series Documents de Travail de l'OFCE with number 2007-32.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Eloi Laurent, 2007. "If it’s Broken, Don’t Fix it:The Government of the Euro area in the EU “Reform Treaty”," Sciences Po publications NÂ°2007-32, Sciences Po.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eloi Laurent & Jean-Paul Fitoussi & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2007. "L’Europe des biens publics," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/3485, Sciences Po.
- Jérôme Creel & Éloi Laurent & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2007.
"Politiques et performances macroéconomiques de la zone euro. Institutions, incitations, stratégies,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(3), pages 249-281.
- Jérôme Creel & Eloi Laurenbt & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2007. "Politiques et performances macroéconomiques de la zone euro : institutions, incitations, stratégies," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2007-23, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Eloi Laurent & Jérôme Creel & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2007. "Politiques et performances macroéconomiques de la zone euro : institutions, incitations, stratégies," Sciences Po publications NÂ° 2007-23, Sciences Po.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesco Saraceno).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.