Do fathers Care?
AbstractThis paper aims at carrying out an international comparison of fathers’ caring time. The time fathers dedicate to caring for their children is typically constrained by the longer working hours culture and the lesser incentives for fathers to take up childcare leave. This paper draws a tentative comparison of the situation in different countries on the basis of time use data as well as data on take up rates of childcare leave. Data from the Multinational Time Use Survey (MTUS) collected at Essex, and from the European Community Household Panel (ECHP) are used for the analysis. The responsiveness of father’s childcare time to working time patterns of mothers is investigated by means of descriptive analysis and of econometric multivariate analysis. Policies to combine work and family specifically addressed at fathers in different OECD countries are briefly reviewed and their impact on fathers’ caring behaviour is assessed. It is concluded that substantial differences in gender time investment on caring for children persist, which may impact on women’s labour market performance, and that policies to provide fathers with incentives to participate further in childcare are needed.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE) in its series Documents de Travail de l'OFCE with number 2003-08.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Gender; labour markets; time use data.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D13 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Household Production and Intrahouse Allocation
- J16 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Gender; Non-labor Discrimination
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Boll, Christina & Leppin, Julian Sebastian & Reich, Nora, 2011. "Einfluss der Elternzeit von Vätern auf die familiale Arbeitsteilung im internationalen Vergleich," HWWI Policy Papers 59, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Reich, Nora, 2012. "Fathers' childcare: The difference between participation and amount of time," HWWI Research Papers 116, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Reich, Nora & Boll, Christina & Leppin, Julian Sebastian, 2012. "Fathers' childcare and parental leave policies: Evidence from Western European Countries and Canada," HWWI Research Papers 115, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesco Saraceno).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.