Intra-Industry Spillovers from Inward FDI: A Meta-Regression Analysis
AbstractThe present paper conducts a meta-analysis of literature on intra-industry spillovers from foreign direct investment, using 97 different outcomes from 67 empirical studies. Apart from the traditional approach, robust meta-regression, random-effects model, and normal probability regression are employed. Results of combined significance analysis are mixed but it is evident that studies published in leading academic journals tend to report rather insignificant results. Our findings suggest that the outcome of an empirical work is, in general, dependent on its design, although this pattern seems to weaken over time. Contrary to previous studies, evidence for publication bias was not detected.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies in its series Working Papers IES with number 2008/08.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision: Jun 2008
meta-analysis; productivity spillovers; technology transfer; foreign direct investment; multinational companies;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D62 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Externalities
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tomáš Havránek, 2009.
"The supply of foreign direct investment incentives: subsidy competition in an oligopolistic framework,"
Prague Economic Papers,
University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2009(2), pages 131-155.
- Havranek, Tomas, 2008. "The Supply of Foreign Direct Investment Incentives: Subsidy Competition in an Oligopolistic Framework," MPRA Paper 10770, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tomáš Havránek, 2009. "Subsidy Competition for FDI: Fierce or Weak?," Working Papers IES 2009/07, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Feb 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.