Foreign Banks, Foreign Lending and Cross-Border Contagion: Evidence from the BIS Data
AbstractThe article discusses the role of foreign banks and foreign lending in the CEE countries from the financial stability perspective using the data on international banking business. The pattern of foreign banks’ involvement is analyzed and the risk of cross-border contagion explored, focusing on three aspects: maturity of cross-border exposures, concentration of foreign creditors and the existence of common creditor.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies in its series Working Papers IES with number 2007/08.
Length: 13 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2007
Date of revision: Jan 2007
contagion; banks; financial stability; common creditor;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- F34 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Lending and Debt Problems
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-02-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2007-02-17 (Banking)
- NEP-CFN-2007-02-17 (Corporate Finance)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sophie Brana & Delphine Lahet, 2009. "La Présence De Banques Étrangères En Europe De L'Est : Quels Risques Financiers ?," Working Papers hal-00616580, HAL.
- Bang Nam Jeon & Maria Pia Olivero & Ji Wu, 2013. "Multinational Banking and Financial Contagion: Evidence from Foreign Bank Subsidiaries," Working Papers 052013, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Delphine Lahet, 2009. "Les Banques Étrangères En Asie Du Sud-Est : Le Rôle Des Local Claims," Working Papers hal-00616577, HAL.
- Li L. Ong & Andrea M. Maechler, 2009. "Foreign Banks in the CESE Countries: In for a Penny, in for a Pound?," IMF Working Papers 09/54, International Monetary Fund.
- Frait, Jan & Gersl, Adam & Seidler, Jakub, 2011. "Credit growth and financial stability in the Czech Republic," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5771, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.