Internal Mobility and International Migration in Albania
AbstractUsing evidence from two recent data sources – the 2002 Albania Living Standards Measurement Survey (LSMS) and the 2001 Population Census of Albania – the paper documents the phenomena of internal and external migration in Albania, a country that in the past decade has experienced dramatic changes as it makes its transition to a more open market economy. Albania is a country on the move, both internally and internationally. This mobility plays a key role in household-level strategies to cope with the economic hardship of transition and it is perhaps the single most important political, social, and economic phenomenon in post-communist Albania. The order of magnitude of the observed flows is astonishing. Almost one half of all Albanian households have had direct exposure to migration events, either through direct temporary migration of a household member or through their children living abroad. One out of two children who since 1990 no longer live with their parents is now living abroad, primarily in Greece and Italy. For obvious reasons, Greece also remains the preferred destination of temporary migrants, although – and despite the higher costs associated with it – the shares of Albanians temporarily migrating to Italy and Germany have increased substantially in recent years. The paper also provides a micro level analysis of the household’s migration decision. The role of household and community characteristics, including relative deprivation and the importance of social networks, in the decision to migrate are assessed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA) in its series Working Papers with number 04-13.
Length: 45 pages
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Agricultural Sector in Economic Development Service FAO Viale delle Terme di Caracalla 00153 Rome Italy
Phone: +39(6) 57051
Fax: +39 06 57055522
Web page: http://www.fao.org/es/esa/
More information through EDIRC
Albania; Households; Labour mobility; Living standards; Market economies; Mathematical models; Migrant labour; Migration; Population dynamics; Rural urban migration; Social behaviour; Social change; Social conditions; Trends; Urban rural migration; Urbanization;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F22 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Migration
- N34 - Economic History - - Labor and Consumers, Demography, Education, Health, Welfare, Income, Wealth, Religion, and Philanthropy - - - Europe: 1913-
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- P2 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Möllers, Judith & Meyer, Wiebke & Xhema, Sherif & Buchenrieder, Gertrud, 2013. "A socio-economic picture of Kosovar migrants and their origin farm households," IAMO Discussion Papers 140, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Anna Lara, 2009. "The Effect of Work Migration on Domestic Labour Supply in Albania," The wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Papers 076, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Carlo Azzarri & Gero Carletto & Benjamin Davis & Alberto Zezza, 2006.
"Choosing to Migrate or Migrating to Choose: Migration and Labour Choice in Albania,"
06-06, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
- Azzarri, Carlo & Carletto, Calogero & Davis, Benjamin & Zezza, Alberto, 2006. "Choosing to Migrate or Migrating to Choose: Migration and Labor Choice in Albania," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25538, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- World Bank, 2007. "Albania : Strategic Policies for a More Competitive Agriculture Sector," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7563, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2007. "Albania - Urban Growth, Migration and Poverty Reduction : A Poverty Assessment," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7659, The World Bank.
- Miluka, Juna & Carletto, Calogero & Davis, Benjamin & Zezza, Alberto, 2007.
"The Vanishing Farms? The Impact of International Migration on Albanian Family Farming,"
103rd Seminar, April 23-25, 2007, Barcelona, Spain
9406, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Juna Miluka & Gero Carletto & Benjamin Davis & Alberto Zezza, 2010. "The Vanishing Farms? The Impact of International Migration on Albanian Family Farming," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(1), pages 140-161.
- Miluka, Juna & Carletto, Calogero & Davis, Benjamin & Zezza, Alberto, 2007. "The vanishing farms ? the impact of international migration on Albanian family farming," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4367, The World Bank.
- Azzarri, Carlo & Carletto, Calogero, 2009. "Modeling migration dynamics in Albania : a hazard function approach," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4945, The World Bank.
- Meyer, Wiebke, 2012. "Motives for remitting from Germany to Kosovo," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 69, number 69, November.
- Hagen-Zanker, Jessica, 2010. "Modest expectations: Causes and effects of migration on migrant households in source countries," MPRA Paper 29507, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tomini, Florian & Hagen-Zanker, Jessica, 2010. "How has internal migration in Albania affected the receipt of transfers from family and friends?," MPRA Paper 29478, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gustavo Anríquez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Gustavo Anríquez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.