Information Asymmetry and Economic Concentration: The case of hens and eggs in eastern Indonesia
AbstractEggs have been important elements of cooking and nutrition in Indonesia for centuries, mostly supplied from ducks and backyard chickens. Consumption of layer eggs has increased 12-fold over the past 30 years, and prices are lowered in central areas of the country. In the outer islands, however, layer egg prices are high and eggs are of lower quality. This report aims to discuss why concentration of chicken feed and egg production is maintained in the central areas of the country, while malnutrition, poverty and unemployment are high and increasing in areas without commercial feed and egg production. The difference is great between those who know and those who do not in the Indonesian poultry industry. Potential gains from information acquisition are not reflected in efficient markets for information, knowledge and skills. Information markets are not established because there are neither suppliers of nor any substantial demand for the competence that could be used by new commercial egg producers at peripheral sites of production. Lowering entry barriers into poultry feed and layer egg production is mainly a question of competence, and policy recommendations include improved dissemination of information and knowledge through schooling systems and local government extension services.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA) in its series Working Papers with number 03-21.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Agricultural Sector in Economic Development Service FAO Viale delle Terme di Caracalla 00153 Rome Italy
Phone: +39(6) 57051
Fax: +39 06 57055522
Web page: http://www.fao.org/es/esa/
More information through EDIRC
Agricultural extension; Diffusion of information; Economic development; Egg production; Feeds; Hens; Indonesia; Information needs; International trade; Poultry farming; Prices; Small farms; Trade barriers; Trade policies;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O17 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Formal and Informal Sectors; Shadow Economy; Institutional Arrangements
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank Ellis, 1998. "Household strategies and rural livelihood diversification," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(1), pages 1-38.
- Tavera, Jose A., 2001. "After privatization: regulation of Peruvian public utilities," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 713-725.
- Winter-Nelson, Alex & Temu, Anna, 2002. "Institutional Adjustment and Transaction Costs: Product and Inputs Markets in the Tanzanian Coffee System," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 561-574, April.
- Chris Manning, 2000. "Labour Market Adjustment to Indonesia's Economic Crisis: Context, Trends and Implications," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 105-136.
- Richard Arnott & Bruce Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1995.
"Information and Economic Efficiency,"
NBER Working Papers
4533, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pingali, Prabhu L. & Rosegrant, Mark W., 1995. "Agricultural commercialization and diversification: processes and policies," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 171-185, June.
- Silvey, Rachel & Elmhirst, Rebecca, 2003. "Engendering Social Capital: Women Workers and Rural-Urban Networks in Indonesia's Crisis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 865-879, May.
- Timothy J. Bartik, .
"The Market Failure Approach to Regional Economic Development Policy,"
Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles
tjb1990, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Timothy J. Bartik, 1990. "The Market Failure Approach to Regional Economic Development Policy," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 4(4), pages 361-370, November.
- Timothy J. Bartik, 1999. "The Market Failure Approach to Regional Economic Development Policy," Book chapters authored by Upjohn Institute researchers, in: John P. Blair & Laura A. Reese (ed.), Readings in Urban Economics: Issues and Public Policy, pages 14-24 W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Abdulai, Awudu & CroleRees, Anna, 2001. "Determinants of income diversification amongst rural households in Southern Mali," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 437-452, August.
- de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 2000. "Rural poverty in Latin America: Determinants and exit paths," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 389-409, August.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1989. "Markets, Market Failures, and Development," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(2), pages 197-203, May.
- Dries, Liesbeth & Swinnen, Johan F. M., 2002. "Institutional Reform and Labor Reallocation During Transition: Theory Evidence From Polish Agriculture," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 457-474, March.
- weijland, Hermine, 1999. "Microenterprise Clusters in Rural Indonesia: Industrial Seedbed and Policy Target," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1515-1530, September.
- Rock, Michael T., 1999. "Reassessing the Effectiveness of Industrial Policy in Indonesia: Can the Neoliberals be Wrong?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 691-704, April.
- Dhanani, Shafiq & Islam, Iyanatul, 2002. "Poverty, Vulnerability and Social Protection in a Period of Crisis: The Case of Indonesia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1211-1231, July.
- Bayes, Abdul, 2001. "Infrastructure and rural development: insights from a Grameen Bank village phone initiative in Bangladesh," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 25(2-3), pages 261-272, September.
- Graeme Hugo, 2000. "The Impact of the Crisis on Internal Population Movement in Indonesia," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(2), pages 115-138.
- David, Paul A, 1985. "Clio and the Economics of QWERTY," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(2), pages 332-37, May.
- Frank Ellis, 2000. "The Determinants of Rural Livelihood Diversification in Developing Countries," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 289-302.
- Usui, Norio, 1996. "Policy adjustments to the oil boom and their evaluation: The Dutch disease in Indonesia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 887-900, May.
- Grewal, Dhruv & Iyer, Gopalkrishnan R. & Krishnan, R. & Sharma, Arun, 2003. "The Internet and the price-value-loyalty chain," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(5), pages 391-398, May.
- Eggertsson, Thrainn, 1997. "The old theory of economic policy and the new institutionalism," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(8), pages 1187-1203, August.
- Arndt, Heinz W., 1988. ""Market failure" and underdevelopment," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 219-229, February.
- Woldenhanna, T. & Oskam, A., 2001. "Income diversification and entry barriers: evidence from the Tigray region of northern Ethiopia," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 351-365, August.
- Reardon, Thomas & Barrett, Christopher B., 2000. "Agroindustrialization, globalization, and international development: An overview of issues, patterns, and determinants," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 195-205, September.
- Warr, Peter G., 2000. "Poverty incidence and economic growth in Southeast Asia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 431-441.
- Thorbecke, Erik, 1991. "Adjustment, growth and income distribution in Indonesia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(11), pages 1595-1614, November.
- Anne Booth, 2002. "The Changing Role Of Non-Farm Activities In Agricultural Households In Indonesia: Some Insights From The Agricultural Censuses," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(2), pages 179-200.
- Ferrary, Michel, 2003. "Trust and social capital in the regulation of lending activities," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 673-699.
- Staal, Steven & Delgado, Christopher & Nicholson, Charles, 1997. "Smallholder dairying under transactions costs in East Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 779-794, May.
- Pomp, Marc & Burger, Kees, 1995. "Innovation and imitation: Adoption of cocoa by Indonesian smallholders," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 423-431, March.
- Holloway, Garth & Nicholson, Charles & Delgado, Chris & Staal, Steve & Ehui, Simeon, 2000. "Agroindustrialization through institutional innovation: Transaction costs, cooperatives and milk-market development in the east-African highlands," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 279-288, September.
- Goletti, Francesco & Chabot, Philippe, 2000. "Food policy research for improving the reform of agricultural input and output markets in Central Asia," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 661-679, December.
- Suwartini, Endang & Coffin, H. Garth & Gunjal, Kisan, 1997. "Economic welfare analysis of policy-induced structural change in the Indonesian poultry industry," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 237-243, August.
- Rutherford, A. S., 1999. "Meat and milk self-sufficiency in Asia: forecast trends and implications," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 21-39, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gustavo Anríquez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Gustavo Anríquez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.