Portfolio Diversification: Alive and Well in Euroland!
AbstractDiversification opportunities in Euroland appear to have improved significantly since the advent of the euro, thus invalidating the prospects identified in the last years of the convergence-to-EMU period. We identify low frequency movements in the time series of return dispersions suggestive of cycles and long swings in return correlations. The most recent post-euro period is clearly associated with an important upswing with return dispersions exceeding for the first time their peaks of the early nineties.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering in its series FAME Research Paper Series with number rp32.
Date of creation: Jul 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 40 bd. du Pont d'Arve, Case postale 3, CH - 1211 Geneva 4
Phone: 41 22 / 312 09 61
Fax: 41 22 / 312 10 26
Web page: http://www.swissfinanceinstitute.ch
More information through EDIRC
portfolio diversification; return dispersion; euro;
Other versions of this item:
- Kpate Adjaoute & Jean-Pierre Danthine, 2004. "Portfolio diversification: alive and well in Euro-land!," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(17), pages 1225-1231.
- Kpate ADJAOUTE & Jean-Pierre DANTHINE, 2001. "Portfolio Diversification: Alive and well in Euroland !," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 01.08, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Adjaoute, Kpate & Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 2001. "Portfolio Diversification: Alive and Well in Euroland!," CEPR Discussion Papers 3086, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Adjaoute, K. & Danthine, J.P., 2001. "Portfolio Diversification: Alive and well In Euroland," Papers 32, Manitoba - Department of Economics.
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R, 1995.
" Time-Varying World Market Integration,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 50(2), pages 403-44, June.
- Adjaoute, Kpate & Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 2001.
"EMU and Portfolio Diversification Opportunities,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2962, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew Clare & James Seaton & Peter N. Smith & Stephen Thomas, 2014. "European Equity Investing through the Financial Crisis: Can Risk Parity, Momentum or Trend Following Help to Reduce Tail Risk?," Discussion Papers 14/02, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Balli, Faruk & Balli, Hatice O., 2011.
"Sectoral equity returns in the Euro region: Is there any room for reducing portfolio risk?,"
Journal of Economics and Business,
Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 89-106, March.
- Balli, Faruk & Balli, Hatice O., 2011. "Sectoral equity returns in the Euro region: Is there any room for reducing portfolio risk?," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 89-106.
- Mann, Catherine L. & Meade, Ellen E., 2002.
"Home bias, transactions costs, and prospects for the Euro: A more detailed analysis,"
6, Deutsche Bank Research.
- Catherine L. Mann & Ellen E. Meade, 2002. "Home Bias, Transaction Costs, and Prospects for the Euro: A More Detailed Analysis," Working Paper Series WP02-3, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Catherine L. Mann & Ellen E. Meade, 2002. "Home Bias, Transactions Costs, and Prospects for the Euro: A More Detailed Analysis," CEP Discussion Papers dp0537, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Ramaprasad Bhar, 2010. "Stochastic Filtering With Applications In Finance:," World Scientific Books, World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., number 7736.
- Smimou, K., 2011. "Transition to the Euro and its impact on country portfolio diversification," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 88-103, January.
- José Soares Fonseca, 2006. "The Integration of European Stock Markets and Market Timing," GEMF Working Papers 2006-05, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Pieterse-Bloem, M., 2011. "The effect of Emu on bond market integration and investor portfolio allocations," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-4742837, Tilburg University.
- Li Yang & Francis Tapon & Yiguo Sun, 2006. "International correlations across stock markets and industries: trends and patterns 1988-2002," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(16), pages 1171-1183.
- Laopodis, Nikiforos T., 2005. "Portfolio diversification benefits within Europe: Implications for a US investor," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 455-476.
- Moerman, Gerard A., 2008. "Diversification in euro area stock markets: Country versus industry," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 1122-1134, November.
- Kaltenhaeuser, Bernd, 2003. "Country and sector-specific spillover effects in the euro area, the United States and Japan," Working Paper Series 0286, European Central Bank.
- Sofia B. RAMOS & Ernst-Ludwig VON THADDEN, 2003.
"Stock Exchange Competition in a Simple Model of Capital Market Equilibrium,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp109, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Ramos, Sofia B. & von Thadden, Ernst-Ludwig, 2008. "Stock exchange competition in a simple model of capital market equilibrium," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 284-307, August.
- Thomas Flavin, 2004.
"The effect of the Euro on country versus industry portfolio diversification,"
Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series
n1411004, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Flavin, Thomas J., 2004. "The effect of the Euro on country versus industry portfolio diversification," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(7-8), pages 1137-1158.
- Massimo Guidolin & Stuart Hyde, 2007.
"What tames the Celtic tiger? portfolio implications from a multivariate Markov switching model,"
2006-029, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Massimo Guidolin & Stuart Hyde, 2009. "What tames the Celtic Tiger? Portfolio implications from a Multivariate Markov Switching model," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(6), pages 463-488.
- Hartmann, Philipp & Issing, Otmar, 2002. "The international role of the euro," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 315-345, July.
- José Soares Fonseca, 2006. "L’intégration des marchés financiers," GEMF Working Papers 2006-06, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Francesco Giavazzi & Antonio Borges, 2002. "Une monnaie saine et des marchés développés : l’Europe après l’euro," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 68(4), pages 307-320.
- Andrew Clare & James Seaton & Peter N. Smith & Stephen Thomas, 2014. "European Equity Investing through the Financial Crisis: Can Risk Parity, Momentum or Trend Following Help to Reduce Tail Risk?," CAMA Working Papers 2014-08, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Maher Asal, 2011. "The Impact of Euro on Sectoral Equity Returns and Portfolio Risk," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 119-133, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marilyn Barja).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.