Multiproduct Firms' Pricing Behavior in the Italian Grocery Trade
AbstractThis paper investigates the determinants of price dispersion between staple and non-staple goods in grocery retailing, as the result of pricing decisions of multiproduct firms. Contradictory theoretical predictions about the nature of supermarkets' pricing behaviour are compared by highlighting the main underlying behavioural assumptions. These theoretical predictions are tested empirically using disaggregated data from the Italian grocery trade. The emprirical results provide evidence for the existence, in all types of retail organisation, of the form of price discrimination suggested in Bliss (1984). The results are consistent with discrimination due to the exploitation of consumers' switching costs.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Exeter University, Department of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 9509.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Streatham Court, Rennes Drive, Exeter EX4 4PU
Phone: (01392) 263218
Fax: (01392) 263242
Web page: http://business-school.exeter.ac.uk/about/departments/economics/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Timothy Richards, 2007.
"A nested logit model of strategic promotion,"
Quantitative Marketing and Economics,
Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 63-91, March.
- Barron, John M. & Umbeck, John R. & Waddell, Glen R., 2008. "Consumer and competitor reactions: Evidence from a field experiment," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 517-531, March.
- repec:ner:ucddub:urn:hdl:10197/127 is not listed on IDEAS
- Barron, John M. & Taylor, Beck A. & Umbeck, John R., 2004. "Number of sellers, average prices, and price dispersion," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(8-9), pages 1041-1066, November.
- Clerides, Sofronis K., 2002. "Book value: intertemporal pricing and quality discrimination in the US market for books," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(10), pages 1385-1408, December.
- Li, Lan & Carman, Hoy F. & Sexton, Richard J., 2005.
"Grocery Retailer Pricing Behavior for California Avocados with Implications for Industry Promotion Strategies,"
2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI
19498, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Li, Lan & Carman, Hoy F. & Sexton, Richard J., 2006. "Grocery Retailer Pricing Behavior for California Avocados with Implications for Industry Promotion Strategies," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25494, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Patrick Paul Walsh & Ciara Whelan, 1999. "A Rationale for Repealing the 1987 Groceries Order," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 30(1), pages 71-90.
- Ian Sheldon & Richard Sperling, 2003. "Estimating the Extent of Imperfect Competition in the Food Industry: What Have We Learned?," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 89-109.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlos Cortinhas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.