Investigation of cointegration of oil prices and Russian market indices
AbstractWe perform an econometric analysis of cointegration of the Brent oil price and general and industrial indices of the RTS and MICEX stock exchanges. Positive relation between the oil price and the MICEX industrial index for an oil sector. It is interesting to note that a cointegration between the oil price and industrial RTS index is not detected. A cointegration between the oil price and the general indices is found both for the RTS and the MICEX, and in both cases it is positive. This result differs from those obtained earlier by researchers for other countries where negative influence of the oil price on financial markets was obtained. (in Russian)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European University at St. Petersburg, Department of Economics in its series EUSP Deparment of Economics Working Paper Series with number Ec-03/10.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 28 Sep 2010
Date of revision: 04 Oct 2010
oil price; stock index; econometrics; cointegration;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- E3 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-01-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2011-01-23 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2011-01-23 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yuriy Balagula).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.