Voting and Decisions in the ECB
AbstractThis paper analyses the interaction between decisions on monetary policy in the future European Central Bank and different voting mechanisms. Using a simple stochastic model for preferences over monetary policy it is shown that the voting mechanism described in the actual statute leads to inefficient outcomes. The paper shows as well that the inefficiency can be resolved by allowing for sidepayments. The optimal monetary policy can be implemented by a noncooperative bargaining game.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European University Institute in its series Economics Working Papers with number eco97/29.
Length: 41 pages
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Badia Fiesolana, Via dei Roccettini, 9, 50016 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI) Italy
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/ECO/
More information through EDIRC
BARGAINING ; MONETARY AREAS ; VOTING;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- D70 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - General
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aksoy, Yunus & De Grauwe, Paul & Dewachter, Hans, 2002.
"Do asymmetries matter for European monetary policy?,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/101581, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Aksoy, Yunus & De Grauwe, Paul & Dewachter, Hans, 2002. "Do asymmetries matter for European monetary policy?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 443-469, March.
- Dixit, Avinash, 2001. "Games of monetary and fiscal interactions in the EMU," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 589-613, May.
- Gambacorta, Leonardo, 2003. "Asymmetric bank lending channels and ECB monetary policy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 25-46, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcia Gastaldo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.