Multilateral Versus Bilateral Testing for Long Run Purchasing Power Parity: A Cointegration Analysis for the Greek Drachma
AbstractProblems faced by empirical studies of the purchasing power parity (PPP) hypothesis are: the choice between a multilateral and a bilateral approach, the choice of the appropriate price index and the problem of simultaneous determination of prices and exchange rates. In the present paper, we analyze the implications that these problems have, while testing for the PPP doctrine between Greece and its three major trading partners during the recent floating exchange rate period. Long-run PPP is tested as an exchange rate-pricecointegrating relationship by applying a multivariate maximum likelihood procedure, using two alternative price measures.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European University Institute in its series Economics Working Papers with number eco97/18.
Length: 55 pages
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Badia Fiesolana, Via dei Roccettini, 9, 50016 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI) Italy
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/ECO/
More information through EDIRC
EXCHANGE RATE ; TRADE ; GREECE;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sideris, Dimitrios, 2006.
"Testing for long-run PPP in a system context: Evidence for the US, Germany and Japan,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 143-154, April.
- Dimitrios Sideris, 2004. "Testing for Long-Run PPP in a System Context: Evidence for the US, Germany and Japan," Working Papers 19, Bank of Greece.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcia Gastaldo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.