On the Efficiency of Bertrand and Cournot Competition with Incomplete Information
AbstractIt is a well established idea that Bertrand competition is more efficient in welfare terms than Cournot competition regardless of the degree of substituability or complementary of the commodities produced by the firms. In this paper I show that, introducing incomplete information abour rivals' costs of production this conclusion does not always hold : in a homogeneous duopoly, the Bertrand price is higher than the Cournot one if both firms have low costs of production and the costs are uniformly distributed.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European University Institute in its series Economics Working Papers with number eco96/33.
Length: 16 pages
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Badia Fiesolana, Via dei Roccettini, 9, 50016 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI) Italy
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/ECO/
More information through EDIRC
OLIGOPOLIES ; PRODUCTION ; PRODUCTION COSTS ; ECONOMIC MODELS;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- E23 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Production
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcia Gastaldo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.