Constrained Inefficiency and Optimal Taxation with Uninsurable Risks
AbstractShould capital and labor be taxed, and if so how when individuals' labor and capital income are subject to uninsurable idiosyncratic risks? In a two period general equilibrium model with production, we first show that reducing investment is welfare improving if households are homogeneous enough ex ante. On the other hand, when the degree of heterogeneity is sufficientlyhigh a welfare improvement is achieved by increasing investment, even if the investment level is already higher than at the e¢ cient allocation obtained when full insurance markets were available. Consequently, the optimal capital tax rate might be negative. We derive a decomposition formula of the e¤ects of the tax which allow us to determine how the sign of optimal tax on capital and labor depends both on the nature of the shocks and the degree of heterogeneity among consumers as well as on the way in which the tax revenue is allocated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European University Institute in its series Economics Working Papers with number ECO2010/02.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Badia Fiesolana, Via dei Roccettini, 9, 50016 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI) Italy
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/ECO/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Piero Gottardi & Atsushi Kajii & Tomoyuki Nakajima, 2014. "Constrained inefficiency and optimal taxation with uninsurable risks," CIGS Working Paper Series 14-002E, The Canon Institute for Global Studies.
- Piero Gottardi & Atsushi Kajii & Tomoyuki Nakajima, 2010. "Constrained Inefficiency and Optimal Taxation with Uninsurable Risks," KIER Working Papers 694, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- NEP-ALL-2010-04-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2010-04-17 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-IAS-2010-04-17 (Insurance Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Matthew Weinzierl & Danny Yagan, 2009.
"Optimal Taxation in Theory and Practice,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 23(4), pages 147-74, Fall.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Matthew C. Weinzierl & Danny Yagan, 2009. "Optimal Taxation in Theory and Practice," Harvard Business School Working Papers 09-140, Harvard Business School.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Matthew Weinzierl & Danny Yagan, 2009. "Optimal Taxation in Theory and Practice," NBER Working Papers 15071, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory & Weinzierl, Matthew Charles & Yagan, Danny Ferris, 2009. "Optimal Taxation in Theory and Practice," Scholarly Articles 4263739, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Chamley, Christophe, 1986. "Optimal Taxation of Capital Income in General Equilibrium with Infinite Lives," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 607-22, May.
- DAVILA, Julio & HONG, Jay H. & KRUSELL, Per & RIOS-RULL, José-Victor, .
"Constrained efficiency in the neoclassical growth model with uninsurable idiosyncratic shocks,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-2463, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Julio Dávila & Jay H. Hong & Per Krusell & José‐Víctor Ríos‐Rull, 2012. "Constrained Efficiency in the Neoclassical Growth Model With Uninsurable Idiosyncratic Shocks," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 80(6), pages 2431-2467, November.
- Julio Davila & Jay H. Hong & Per Krusell & Jose-Victor Rios-Rull, 2005. "Constrained efficiency in the neoclassical growth model with uninsurable idiosyncratic shocks," PIER Working Paper Archive 05-023, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Julio Davila & Jay H. Hong & Per Krusell & José-Victor Rios Rull, 2005. "Constrained efficiency in the neoclassical growth model with uninsurable idiosyncratic shocks," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques b05066, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe, 1999.
"Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
6891, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Atsushi Kajii & Antonio Villanacci & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Constrained suboptimality in incomplete markets: a general approach and two applications," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 495-521.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1982. "The Inefficiency of the Stock Market Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 241-61, April.
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1982.
"Redistributive Taxation in a Simple Perfect Foresight Model,"
572, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Judd, Kenneth L., 1985. "Redistributive taxation in a simple perfect foresight model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 59-83, October.
- Hart, Oliver D., 1975. "On the optimality of equilibrium when the market structure is incomplete," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 418-443, December.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00196183 is not listed on IDEAS
- George-Marios Angeletos, 2007. "Uninsured Idiosyncratic Investment Risk and Aggregate Saving," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 10(1), pages 1-30, January.
- Piero Gottardi & Atsushi Kajii & Tomoyuki Nakajima, 2011.
"Optimal taxation and constrained inefficiency in an infinite-horizon economy with incomplete markets,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2011/18, European University Institute.
- Piero Gottardi & Atsushi Kajii & Tomoyuki Nakajima, 2010. "Optimal taxation and constrained inefficiency in an infinite-horizon economy with incomplete markets," KIER Working Papers 745, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Piero Gottardi & Atsushi Kajii & Tomoyuki Nakajima, 2011. "Optimal Taxation and Constrained Inefficiency in an Infinite-Horizon Economy with Incomplete Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 3560, CESifo Group Munich.
- Tomoyuki Nakajima & Atsushi Kajii & Piero Gottardi, 2011. "Optimal taxation and constrained inefficiency in an in finite-horizon economy with incomplete markets," 2011 Meeting Papers 455, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Acikgoz, Omer, 2013. "Transitional Dynamics and Long-run Optimal Taxation Under Incomplete Markets," MPRA Paper 50160, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sigrid Röhrs & Christoph Winter, 2011. "Wealth inequality and the optimal level of government debt," ECON - Working Papers 051, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcia Gastaldo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.