Monetary and budgetary policy interaction: an SVAR analysis of stabilisation policies in monetary union
AbstractThis paper examines the interaction between monetary and budgetary policy. A comparison of the dynamic responses in di.erent exchange rate regimes offers an assessment of the monetary union case. The analysis proceeds on an SVAR-common trends model. In its current specification, we can only infer responses to the budgetary policy shock. Its identification is obtained by imposing a (long term) solvency condition on government accounts, exploiting automatic stabilisation responses of government revenues, and the imposition of the Fisher relationship. Two main conclusions emerge. Budgetary policy shocks indirectly lead to monetary tightening. Such effects are significant in countries with flexible exchange rate regimes only. Second, policy regime shifts are important.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European University Institute in its series Economics Working Papers with number ECO2004/22.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Badia Fiesolana, Via dei Roccettini, 9, 50016 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI) Italy
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/ECO/
More information through EDIRC
SVAR; fiscal policy; monetary policy; policy interaction;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-08-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2004-08-31 (Central Banking)
- NEP-ETS-2004-08-31 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-IFN-2004-08-31 (International Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2004-08-31 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2004-08-31 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Roel Beetsma & Massimo Giuliodori & Franc Klaassen, 2006.
"Trade spill-overs of fiscal policy in the European Union: a panel analysis,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 21(48), pages 639-687, October.
- Roel Beetsma & Massimo Giuliodori & Franc Klaassen, 2005. "Trade Spillovers of Fiscal Policy in the European Union: A Panel Analysis," DNB Working Papers 052, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Roel Beetsma & Massimo Giuliodori & Franc Klaassen, 2005. "Trade Spillovers of Fiscal Policy in the European Union: A Panel Analysis," EUI-RSCAS Working Papers 31, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
- Beetsma, Roel & Giuliodori, Massimo & Klaassen, Franc, 2005. "Trade Spillovers of Fiscal Policy in the European Union: A Panel Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 5222, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcia Gastaldo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.