On the use of panel unit root tests on cross-sectionally dependent data: an application to PPP
AbstractA Monte Carlo exercise demonstrates the different size distortions that two of the most commonly used panel unit root tests have when the sections of the panel are affected by correlated errors, when they are cointegrated, or both. For a specific form of sectional correlation, the limiting distribution is derived and asymptotic normality of the test statistic is established. To determine the nature of contemporaneous cross-sectional correlation in real data, covariance matrix estimation techniques are discussed and an appropriate bootstrap method for the estimation of standard errors is suggested. In an application to a panel of real exchange rates it is found that both aforementioned dependencies are present, and therefore the results of panel unit root tests if applied at all should be interpreted accordingly.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European University Institute in its series Economics Working Papers with number ECO2003/24.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Badia Fiesolana, Via dei Roccettini, 9, 50016 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI) Italy
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/ECO/
More information through EDIRC
panel data; nonstationarity; cross-sectional dependence; PPP;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-11-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2003-11-30 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2003-11-30 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-IFN-2003-11-30 (International Finance)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fabio Busetti & Silvia Fabiani & Andrew Harvey, 2006.
"Convergences of prices and rates of inflation,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
575, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Martin Berka, 2009.
"Nonlinear Adjustment in Law of One Price Deviations and Physical Characteristics of Goods,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(1), pages 51-73, 02.
- Berka, Martin, 2006. "Non-linear adjustment in law of one price deviations and physical characteristics of goods," MPRA Paper 8606, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2007.
- Sanchirico, James & Newell, Richard & Papps, Kerry, 2005. "Asset Pricing in Created Markets for Fishing Quotas," Discussion Papers dp-05-46, Resources For the Future.
- Österholm, Pär, 2004. "Estimating the Relationship between Age Structure and GDP in the OECD Using Panel Cointegration Methods," Working Paper Series 2004:13, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcia Gastaldo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.