Structural reforms and external rebalancing in the euro area: a model-based analysis
AbstractEconomic research paper on EMU and open economy macroeconomics The paper uses a 3-region version (small open economy in EMU, other euro area, rest of the world) of QUEST to assess the impact of structural reforms on external positions along two dimensions, namely the impact of flexibility and prudence on the prevention of imbalances and the contribution of structural reforms to their correction. With regard to imbalance prevention, the impact of nominal price/wage flexibility above current levels on the reaction of external positions to bubble/demand shocks is modest and case-dependent; prudent collateral valuation mitigates overborrowing risks. Product market reform, wage moderation and fiscal consolidation can support/accelerate the correction of imbalances as they increase price competitiveness and improve trade/current account balances in the short and medium term (here, up to 5-6 years). Lasting structural reforms bring permanent trade competitiveness gains. The initial improvement of external balances narrows in the long run, however, because growth-enhancing reforms also raise import demand when income rises in the longer term. EMU-wide reforms affect balances with the rest of the world, but do not reduce disparities between EMU member states.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission in its series European Economy - Economic Papers with number 443.
Length: 52 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Coomunivcations Unit, B-1049 Bruxelles / Brussels
Fax: +32 2 298.08.23
Web page: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anna Ivanova, 2012. "Current Account Imbalances," IMF Working Papers 12/61, International Monetary Fund.
- A team of the Working Group on Econometric Modelling of the European System of Central Banks, 2012. "Competitiveness and external imbalances within the euro area," Occasional Paper Series 139, European Central Bank.
- Bettendorf, Timo, 2013. "Feeding the Global VAR with theory: Is German wage moderation to blame for European imbalances?," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79710, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Vogel, Lukas, 2012. "Structural reforms, fiscal consolidation and external rebalancing in monetary union: A model-based analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1286-1298.
- Evžen Kočenda & Mathilde Maurel & Gunther Schnabl, 2013.
"Short- and Long-term Growth Effects of Exchange Rate Adjustment,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 137-150, 02.
- Evžen Kocenda & Mathilde Maurel & Gunther Schnabl, 2012. "Short- and Long-Term Growth Effects of Exchange Rate Adjustment," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 12069, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Evžen Kočenda & Mathilde Maurel & Gunther Schnabl, 2012. "Short- and long-term growth effects of exchange rate adjustment," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00748599, HAL.
- Luigi Bonatti & Andrea Fracasso, 2012. "A Germans’ dilemma: save the euro or preserve their socio-economic model," Department of Economics Working Papers 1207, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Patrice Ollivaud & Cyrille Schwellnus, 2013. "The Post-crisis Narrowing of International Imbalances: Cyclical or Durable?," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 1062, OECD Publishing.
- Sotirios Theodoropoulos, 2011. "A Wage Policy for External Balance and Employment in EMU Environment: A Theoretical Approach," SPOUDAI Journal of Economics and Business, SPOUDAI Journal of Economics and Business, University of Piraeus, vol. 61(3-4), pages 85-102, July - De.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ECFIN INFO).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.