Evolving pattern of intra-industry trade specialization of the new Member States (NMS) of the EU: the case of automotive industry
AbstractThis paper analyses intra-industry trade in the new member States and its impact on the convergence process. The paper investigates the development of intra-industry trade (IIT) of the NMS with major partners between 2000-2007. IIT is separated into horizontal and vertical components on the basis of differences in unit values. We have found that although inter-industry trade still accounts for almost 50% of the EU-10 countries’ trade, its share has been declining to the benefit of IIT shares (except for Malta). IIT accelerated in the post-accession period. In 2007, Slovenia and the Czech Republic recorded the highest IIT indices. Intra-industry trade of the EU-10+2 has been dominated by vertical-IIT, usually by low-quality VIIT. However, in almost all NMS, the share of high-quality vertical-IIT, as well as of horizontal-IIT in total trade increased. Thus, the pattern of NMS’ trade specialization has improved. Growing shares of IIT, in that of HIIT, reflect increasing similarities between EU-10 and the EU-15 and the convergence process of the NMS vis-à-vis EU-15 countries. In the automotive sector, the IIT indices were – generally – higher than in total trade, meaning deeper specialization. This phenomenon can be largely attributed to the high FDI penetration.Length: 38 pages
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission in its series European Economy - Economic Papers with number 364.
Date of creation: Mar 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Coomunivcations Unit, B-1049 Bruxelles / Brussels
Fax: +32 2 298.08.23
Web page: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
Intra-industry trade; new member states of the UE; EU enlargement; automotive sector; foreign direct investment; Evolving pattern of intra-industry trade specialization of the new Member States (NMS) of the EU: the case of automotive industry; Economic Papers;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krugman, Paul R., 1979. "Increasing returns, monopolistic competition, and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 469-479, November.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Grozea-Helmenstein, Daniela & Wörgötter, Andreas, 1997. "Intra-Industry Trade Dynamics in the East-West Relations," East European Series 52, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Falvey, Rodney E., 1981. "Commercial policy and intra-industry trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 495-511, November.
- Krugman, Paul, 1980. "Scale Economies, Product Differentiation, and the Pattern of Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 950-59, December.
- Gianfranco DE SIMONE, 2007. "Trade in parts and components and Central Eastern European Countries’ industrial geography," Departmental Working Papers 2007-17, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Grubel, Herbert G & Lloyd, P J, 1971. "The Empirical Measurement of Intra- Industry Trade," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 47(120), pages 494-517, December.
- Lancaster, Kelvin, 1980. "Intra-industry trade under perfect monopolistic competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 151-175, May.
- Finger, J M, 1975. "Trade Overlap and Intra-Industry Trade," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 13(4), pages 581-89, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ECFIN INFO).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.