The quality of public finances and economic growth
AbstractImproving the quality of public finances (QPF) has become a new focus for European policy makers. This focus is largely a response to preparing the European economies for the dual challenge of ageing populations and increased exposure to global competition. At the EU level, the Stability and Growth Pact and the Lisbon Strategy for Growth and Jobs provide, in principle, the appropriate tools for fostering a greater role of QPF in fiscal surveillance but this has not yet fully materialised in practice. This is partly because a broad-based conceptual framework on what makes up QPF has been missing. This paper attempts to close this gap by developing a multi-dimensional approach on QPF. Moreover, it reviews how EU Member States fare in each dimension and summarises empirical findings on the links between QPF and growth, including through a growth-accounting approach using discriminant analysis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission in its series European Economy - Economic Papers with number 337.
Length: 50 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Coomunivcations Unit, B-1049 Bruxelles / Brussels
Fax: +32 2 298.08.23
Web page: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
Public finances; fiscal policy; public spending; fiscal governance; expenditure efficiency; revenue systems; growth accounting; Barrios; Schaechter;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- H11 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government - - - Structure and Scope of Government
- H50 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - General
- H52 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Government Expenditures and Education
- H60 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - General
- H61 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Budget; Budget Systems
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Coutinho, Leonor, 2012. "Determinants of Growth and Inflation in Southern Mediterranean Countries," CEPS Papers 6736, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Salines, Marion & Glöckler, Gabriel & Truchlewski, Zbigniew & del Favero, Paola, 2011. "Beyond the economics of the euro - analysing the institutional evolution of EMU 1999-2010, September 2011," Occasional Paper Series 127, European Central Bank.
- Hans Pitlik & Margit Schratzenstaller, 2011. "Growth Implications of Structure and Size of Public Sectors," WIFO Working Papers 404, WIFO.
- Leonor Coutinho, 2012. "Determinants of Growth and Inflation in Southern Mediterranean Countries," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 436, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Miguel Viegas & Ana Paula Ribeiro, 2011. "Welfare-improving Government Behaviour and Inequality - Inspection Using a Heterogeneous-agent Model," CEF.UP Working Papers 1103, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Amanda Carmignani & Francesco Bripi & Raffaela Giordano, 2011. "The quality of public services in Italy," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 84, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ECFIN INFO).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.