Recent Developments in the European Private Equity Markets
AbstractThis paper examines market developments in venture capital and buyout investment in Europe and the United States, through the analysis of funds raised, investments and exits. It discusses the profitability differential of European venture capital investment in comparison with the United States and suggests that it could originate in the different ways in which research is financed and the unequal supply of financing, notably from business angels, for young companies that are not sufficiently mature for venture capital financing. Investment performance measures used are the internal rate of return (IRR) and investment multiples. The analysis covers aggregated industry returns and venture capital funds' returns aggregated by vintage year. It relies on the VentureXpert private equity and venture capital performance database, maintained by Thomson Venture Economics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission in its series European Economy - Economic Papers with number 319.
Length: 39 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Coomunivcations Unit, B-1049 Bruxelles / Brussels
Fax: +32 2 298.08.23
Web page: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
Venture Capital; profitability; performance; IRR; Europe; United States; Raade; Dantas Machado Rosa;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kraeussl, Roman & Krause, Stefan, 2010. "Are particular industries more likely to succeed? A comparative analysis of VC investment in the US and Europe," CFS Working Paper Series 2010/02, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Kräussl, Roman & Krause, Stefan, 2012.
"Has Europe been catching up? An industry level analysis of venture capital success over 1985 - 2009,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2012/16, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Kraeussl, R. & Krause, S., 2011. "Has Europe Been Catching Up? An Industry Level Analysis of Venture Capital Success over 1985 - 2009," Working papers 327, Banque de France.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ECFIN INFO).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.