Towards Inflation Targeting in Egypt: Fiscal and institutional reforms to support disinflation efforts
AbstractThis paper reviews the prerequisites of inflation targeting, analyses the extent to which they are met in Egypt and examines whether the Egyptian economy, under its current status, is ready to formally adopt an inflation targeting regime. It discusses why developing strong fiscal, financial and monetary institutions is so critical to the success of inflation targeting and explains how, even if the prerequisites are not stringently fulfilled in the beginning of its adoption, the move towards them is believed to contribute to the macroeconomic stability of the country. More particularly, the focus is being put on fiscal balance, the financial sector and central bank independence. Since we believe that the latter is the most important condition in the inflation targeting implementation process, the paper discusses the CBE's independence and underlines the importance of issues related to transparency, credibility, technical capabilities and accountability. Finally, the paper draws some conclusions and formulates some policy recommendations on the adjustments the country should put in place in order to ensure a successful transition towards an inflation targeting regime. Keywords: Egypt, Inflation targetting, Financial reforms
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission in its series European Economy - Economic Papers with number 288.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Coomunivcations Unit, B-1049 Bruxelles / Brussels
Fax: +32 2 298.08.23
Web page: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
Egypt; Inflation targetting; Financial reforms;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E50 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - General
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- E61 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Policy Objectives; Policy Designs and Consistency; Policy Coordination
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koskinen, Juha-Pekka & Koivu, Tuuli & Chowdhury, Abdur, 2004. "Selecting inflation indicators under an inflation targeting regime: evidence from the MCL method," BOFIT Discussion Papers 16/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Hogan, Seamus & Marianne Johnson & Thérèse Laflèche, 2001. "Core Inflation," Technical Reports 89, Bank of Canada.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ECFIN INFO).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.