The link between product market reform and macro-economic performance
AbstractValue-added per capita in EU countries has lagged behind the US. This is despite widespread reforms to product markets across EU countries aimed at increasing growth. This study analyses the macro-economic impact of product market reforms undertaken in the European Union over the 1980s and 1990s by examining a large number of regulations and reforms across EU countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission in its series European Economy - Economic Papers with number 209.
Length: 131 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Coomunivcations Unit, B-1049 Bruxelles / Brussels
Fax: +32 2 298.08.23
Web page: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
product market; product market reforms; regulations; macro-economic performance; allocative efficiency; productive efficiency; dynamic efficiency; aggregate economy; Griffith; Harisson;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Griffith, Rachel & Redding, Stephen J & Van Reenen, John, 2000.
"Mapping The Two Faces Of R&D: Productivity Growth In A Panel Of OECD Industries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2457, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rachel Griffith & Stephen Redding & John Van Reenen, 2004. "Mapping the Two Faces of R&D: Productivity Growth in a Panel of OECD Industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(4), pages 883-895, November.
- Griffith, R & Redding, S & VanReenen, J, 2004. "Mapping the two faces of R&D: productivity growth in a panel of OECD industries," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Rachel Griffith & Stephen Redding & John Van Reenen, 2000. "Mapping the Two Faces of R&D: Productivity Growth in a Panel of OECD Industries," CEP Discussion Papers dp0458, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Rachel Griffith & Stephen Redding & John Van Reenen, 2000. "Mapping the two faces of R&D: productivity growth in a panel of OECD industries," IFS Working Papers W00/02, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Green & Jonathan Haskel, 2004. "Seeking a Premier-League Economy The Role of Privatization," NBER Chapters, in: Seeking a Premier Economy: The Economic Effects of British Economic Reforms, 1980-2000, pages 63-108 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jones, Charles I, 1995. "Time Series Tests of Endogenous Growth Models," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(2), pages 495-525, May.
- Ann Harrison & Ana Revenga, 1995. "The Effects of Trade Policy Reform: What Do We Really Know?," NBER Working Papers 5225, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clovis Kerdrain & Isabell Koske & Isabelle Wanner, 2011. "Current Account Imbalances: can Structural Reforms Help to Reduce Them?," OECD Journal: Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2011(1), pages 1-44.
- Héctor Salgado Banda & Lorenzo Bernal Verdugo, 2011.
"Multifactor productivity and its determinants: an empirical analysis for Mexican manufacturing,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 293-308, December.
- Héctor Salgado Banda & Lorenzo E. Bernal Verdugo, 2007. "Multifactor Productivity and its Determinants: Al Empirical Analysis for Mexican Manufacturing," Working Papers 2007-09, Banco de México.
- Klaus Weyerstrass & Johannes Jaenicke, 2011. "Is more competition conducive to the macroeconomic performance in the euro area?," Empirica, Springer, vol. 38(3), pages 351-380, July.
- repec:fpb:wpaper:98 is not listed on IDEAS
- Céline Azémar & Rodolphe Desbordes, 2010.
"Short-run Strategies for Attracting Foreign Direct Investment,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(7), pages 928-957, 07.
- Azemar, Celine & Desbordes, Rodolphe, 2009. "Short-Run Strategies For Attracting Foreign Direct Investment," SIRE Discussion Papers 2009-27, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Rodolphe Desbordes & CÃ©line AzÃ©mar, 2010. "Short-Run Strategies For Attracting Foreign Direct Investment," Working Papers 1005, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Azemar, Celine & Desbordes, Rodolphe, 2010. "Short-Run Strategies For Attracting Foreign Direct Investment," SIRE Discussion Papers 2010-26, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Céline Azémar & Rodolphe Desbordes, 2009. "Short-run strategies for attracting Foreign Direct Investment," Working Papers 2009_24, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Schiantarelli, Fabio, 2005.
"Product market regulation and macroeconomic performance : a review of cross-country evidence,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3770, The World Bank.
- Schiantarelli, Fabio, 2005. "Product Market Regulation and Macroeconomic Performance: A Review of Cross Country Evidence," IZA Discussion Papers 1791, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fabio Schiantarelli, 2005. "Product Market Regulation and Macroeconomic Performance: A Review of Cross Country Evidence," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 623, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 04 Aug 2008.
- Valkonen, Laura, 2006. "Deregulation as a Means to Increase Competition and Productivity," Discussion Papers 1014, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Gaëtan Nicodème & Jacques-Bernard Sauner-Leroy, 2007. "Product Market Reforms and Productivity: A Review of the Theoretical and Empirical Literature on the Transmission Channels," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 53-72, March.
- Feldmann, Horst, 2009. "Business regulation, labor force participation and employment in industrial countries," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 238-260.
- Jan van der Linden, 2005.
"Planning Paper 98 - Réforme de marché dans les industries de réseau en Belgique
[Planning Paper 98 - Markthervorming in netwerkindustrieën in België]," Planning Papers 98, Federal Planning Bureau, Belgium.
- Renaud Bourlès & Gilbert Cette & Jimmy Lopez & Jacques Mairesse & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2010.
"Do Product Market Regulations in Upstream Sectors Curb Productivity Growth? Panel Data Evidence for OECD Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
16520, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bourlès, R. & Cette, G. & Lopez, J. & Mairesse, J. & Nicoletti, G., 2010. "Do product market regulations in upstream sectors curb productivity growth? Panel data evidence for OECD countries," Working papers 283, Banque de France.
- Renaud Bourlès & Gilbert Cette & Jimmy Lopez & Jacques Mairesse & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2010. "Do Product Market Regulations In Upstream Sectors Curb Productivity Growth? Panel Data Evidence For Oecd Countries," Working Papers halshs-00504161, HAL.
- Renaud Bourlès & Gilbert Cette & Jimmy Lopez & Jacques Mairesse & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2010. "Do Product Market Regulations in Upstream Sectors Curb Productivity Growth?: Panel Data Evidence for OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 791, OECD Publishing.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ECFIN INFO).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.