Finance and economic growth - a review of theory and the available evidence
AbstractThe EU's structural reform agenda attaches a considerable weight to the establishment of efficiently working and integrated EU financial markets. While there is a firm consensus that a well-functioning financial sector is a precondition for the efficient allocation of resources and the exploitation of an economy's growth potential, the economic literature is less consensual on how and to what extent finance affects economic growth.Â This paper reviews the economic theory and available evidence with particular focus on three questions:Â how does financial development affect economic growth;Â what are the features of a growth supportive financial structure;Â how are financial structures related to structural change and technical progress?Â
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission in its series European Economy - Economic Papers with number 158.
Length: 50 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Coomunivcations Unit, B-1049 Bruxelles / Brussels
Fax: +32 2 298.08.23
Web page: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
financial development; economic growth; financial structures; structural change; technical progress;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Koetter, Michael & Wedow, Michael, 2005.
"Finance and growth in a bank-based economy: is it quantity or quality that matters?,"
Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies
2006,02, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Koetter, Michael & Wedow, Michael, 2010. "Finance and growth in a bank-based economy: Is it quantity or quality that matters?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 1529-1545, December.
- Liliane Karlinger, 2002. "The Impact of Common Currencies on Financial Markets: A Literature Review and Evidence from the Euro Area," Working Papers 02-35, Bank of Canada.
- Koivu, Tuuli, 2002. "Do efficient banking sectors accelerate economic growth in transition countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 14/2002, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Christoph Walkner & Jean-Pierre Raes, 2005. "Integration and consolidation in EU banking - an unfinished business," European Economy - Economic Papers 226, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- António Afonso & Raquel Ferreira & Edmund Freitas & Celso Nóbrega & José Pinheiro, 2003. "Intermediaries, Financial Markets and Growth: Some more International Evidence," Working Papers Department of Economics 2003/02, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Tuuli Koivu & Pekka Sutela, 2005. "Financial Systems in Transition: Could Small Actually Be Beautiful?," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 31(2), pages 265-283, Spring.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ECFIN INFO).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.