Efficiency of Individual Transferable Quotas (ITQ) Systems and Input and Stock Controls
AbstractThis paper examines whether or not the number of fishers is optimal under an Individual Transferable Quotas (ITQ) program. We consider two cases on the structure of the quota market: (1) cases in which all fishers are price takers, and (2) cases in which large-scale fishers have market power. When all fishers are price takers in the quota market, the social optimum is likely to be achieved given the total allowable catch (TAC) level. On the other hand, when low-cost fishers have market power in the quota market, the inefficiency may be serious: excess entry of low-cost fishers and insufficient exit of high-cost fishers may take place. Moreover, we demonstrate that vessel controls and stock targeting may work for an ITQ program.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI) in its series Discussion papers with number 09046.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Niels Vestergaard & Frank Jensen & Henning P. Jørgensen, 2005. "Sunk Cost and Entry-Exit Decisions under Individual Transferable Quotas: Why Industry Restructuring Is Delayed," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 81(3).
- Weninger, Quinn, 1998.
"Assessing Efficiency Gains From Individual Transferable Quotas: An Application to the Mid-Atlantic Surf Clam and Ocean Quahog Fishery,"
Staff General Research Papers
5065, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Quinn Weninger, 1998. "Assessing Efficiency Gains from Individual Transferable Quotas: An Application to the Mid-Atlantic Surf Clam and Ocean Quahog Fishery," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(4), pages 750-764.
- repec:ags:mareec:28171 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ags:mareec:48463 is not listed on IDEAS
- Anderson, Lee G., 1991. "A note on market power in ITQ fisheries," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 291-296, November.
- Scott C. Matulich & Murat Sever, 1999. "Reconsidering the Initial Allocation of ITQs: The Search for a Pareto-Safe Allocation between Fishing and Processing Sectors," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 75(2), pages 203-219.
- Boyce, John R., 2004. "Instrument choice in a fishery," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 183-206, January.
- repec:ags:mareec:48882 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ags:mareec:48862 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ags:mareec:8585 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ags:mareec:28224 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ags:mareec:28299 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.