Different channels of impact of education on poverty: an analysis for Colombia
AbstractThis paper analyses pecuniary and non-pecuniary effects of education on poverty. Two are the main contributions: first, the pecuniary analysis employs the recently developed technique of instrumental variable quantile regression, very helpful method when one is interested in the lowest or highest extremes of the distribution function of the dependent variable. In fact, quantile regression offers coefficient estimations for any conditional quantile. The second contribution derives from our purpose to highlight the non-pecuniary returns to education: resources invested in education bring future returns to individuals, not only reflected in monetary earnings, but also in higher levels of satisfaction of basic needs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën in its series Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers with number ces0702.
Date of creation: Mar 2007
Date of revision:
education; poverty; quantile regression; Colombia;
Other versions of this item:
- Blanca Zuluaga, 2007. "Different Channels Of Impact Of Education On Poverty: An Analysis For Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMÃA Y FINANZAS 002351, UNIVERSIDAD ICESI.
- I30 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General
- I20 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gounder, Rukmani & Xing, Zhongwei, 2012. "Impact of education and health on poverty reduction: Monetary and non-monetary evidence from Fiji," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 787-794.
- Majeed, Muhammad Tariq & Malik, Muhammad Nauman, 2014. "Determinants of Household Poverty: Empirical Evidence from Pakistan," MPRA Paper 57744, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Puyana, Alicia, 2011. "Economic growth, employment and poverty reduction : a comparative analysis of Chile and Mexico," ILO Working Papers 462962, International Labour Organization.
- Awan, Masood Sarwar & Iqbal, Nasir & Muhammad, Waqas, 2011. "The impact of human capital on urban poverty: The case of Sargodha city," MPRA Paper 31829, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zafar Mueen Nasir & Nasir Iqbal, 2009.
"Employers Size Wage Differential: Does Investment in Human Capital Matter?,"
The Pakistan Development Review,
Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 48(4), pages 509â521.
- Nasir, Zafar Mueen & Iqbal, Nasir, 2010. "Employers Size Wage Differential: Does Investment in Human Capital Matter?," MPRA Paper 27164, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karla Vander Weyden).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.