Jackknife Bias Reduction in the Presence of a Unit Root
AbstractThis paper analyses the properties of jackknife estimators of the first-order autoregressive coefficient when the time series of interest contains a unit root. It is shown that, when the sub-samples do not overlap, the sub-sample estimators have different limiting distributions from the full-sample estimator and, hence, the jackknife estimator in its usual form does not eliminate fully the first-order bias as intended. The joint moment generating function of the numerator and denominator of these limiting distributions is derived and used to calculate the expectations that determine the optimal jackknife weights. Two methods of avoiding this procedure are proposed and investigated, one based on inclusion of an intercept in the regressions, the other based on adjusting the observations in the sub-samples. Extensions to more general augmented Dickey-Fuller (ADF) regressions are also considered. In addition to the theoretical results extensive simulations reveal the impressive bias reductions that can be obtained with these computationally simple jackknife estimators and they also highlight the importance of correct lag-length selection in ADF regressions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Essex, Department of Economics in its series Economics Discussion Papers with number 685.
Date of creation: 04 Feb 2010
Date of revision:
Postal: Discussion Papers Administrator, Department of Economics, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-03-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2010-03-06 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2010-03-06 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geert Dhaene & Koen Jochmans, 2014.
"Split-Panel Jackknife Estimation of Fixed-Effect Models,"
Sciences Po publications
2014-03, Sciences Po.
- DHAENE, Geert & JOCHMANS, Koen, 2010. "Split-panel jackknife estimation of fixed-effect models," CORE Discussion Papers 2010003, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Geert Dhaene & Koen Jochmans, 2014. "Split-Panel Jackknife Estimation of Fixed-Effect Models," Sciences Po Economics Discussion Papers 2014-03, Sciences Po Departement of Economics.
- Geert Dhaene & Koen Jochmans, 2010. "Split-panel jackknife estimation of fixed-effect models," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/eu4vqp9ompq, Sciences Po.
- Jinyong Hahn & Whitney Newey, 2003.
"Jackknife and analytical bias reduction for nonlinear panel models,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP17/03, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Jinyong Hahn & Whitney Newey, 2004. "Jackknife and Analytical Bias Reduction for Nonlinear Panel Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(4), pages 1295-1319, 07.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 1997.
"Lag Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
369, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 2001. "LAG Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1519-1554, November.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985.
"Time Series Regression with a Unit Root,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
740R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1986.
- Gonzalo, Jesus & Pitarakis, Jean-Yves, 1998. "On the Exact Moments of Asymptotic Distributions in an Unstable AR(1) with Dependent Errors," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(1), pages 71-88, February.
- Ye Chen & Jun Yu, 2012.
"Optimal Jackknife for Discrete Time and Continuous Time Unit Root Models,"
15-2012, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Ye Chen & Jun Yu, 2011. "Optimal Jackknife for Discrete Time and Continuous Time Unit Root Models," Working Papers 12-2011, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Chambers, Marcus J., 2013.
"Jackknife estimation of stationary autoregressive models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 172(1), pages 142-157.
- Marcus J Chambers, 2010. "Jackknife Estimation of Stationary Autoregressive Models," Economics Discussion Papers 684, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Kyriacou, Maria, 2012. "Overlapping sub-sampling and invariance to initial conditions," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 1203, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Chambers, Marcus J. & Kyriacou, Maria, 2013. "Jackknife estimation with a unit root," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(7), pages 1677-1682.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Essex Economics Web Manager).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.