Matching and Network Effects
AbstractThis paper examines the existence and magnitude of network effects in the matching of workteams. We study the formation of co-author relations among economists over a thirty year period. Our principal finding is that a collaboration emerges faster among two authors if they are closer in the social network of economists. This proximity effect on collaboration is strong and robust but only affects initial collaboration. It has no positive influence on subsequent co-authorship. We also provide some evidence that matching depends on experience, junior authors being more likely to collaborate with senior authors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Essex, Department of Economics in its series Economics Discussion Papers with number 611.
Date of creation: 11 May 2006
Date of revision:
Postal: Discussion Papers Administrator, Department of Economics, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.
Other versions of this item:
- C78 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Bargaining Theory; Matching Theory
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
- D85 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Network Formation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-05-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-GTH-2006-05-20 (Game Theory)
- NEP-NET-2006-05-20 (Network Economics)
- NEP-SOC-2006-05-20 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefan Dercon & Joachim de Weerdt, 2004.
"Risk-Sharing Networks And Insurance Against Illness,"
Development and Comp Systems
- De Weerdt, Joachim & Dercon, Stefan, 2006. "Risk-sharing networks and insurance against illness," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 337-356, December.
- Stefan Dercon & Joachim De Weerdt, 2002. "Risk-sharing Networks and Insurance against illness," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2002-16, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Stefan Dercon & Joachim De Weerdt, 2002. "Risk-sharing networks and insurance against illness," CSAE Working Paper Series 2002-16, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Simon Johnson & John McMillan, 2002.
"Courts and Relational Contracts,"
Journal of Law, Economics and Organization,
Oxford University Press, vol. 18(1), pages 221-277, April.
- John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 1998.
"Interfirm Relationships and Informal Credit in Vietnam,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
132, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 1999. "Interfirm Relationships And Informal Credit In Vietnam," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(4), pages 1285-1320, November.
- McMillan, John & Woodruff, Christopher, 1998. "Inter-Firm Relationships and Informal Credit in Vietnam," CEPR Discussion Papers 2036, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marco van der Leij & Sanjeev Goyal, 2006.
"Strong Ties in a Small World,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
06-008/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Greif, Avner, 1993. "Contract Enforceability and Economic Institutions in Early Trade: the Maghribi Traders' Coalition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 525-48, June.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Marco van der Leij & José Luis Moraga Gonzales, 2004.
"Economics: An Emerging Small World?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1287, CESifo Group Munich.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Marco van der Leij & Jose Luis Moraga, 2004. "Economics: An Emerging Small World?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-001/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Marco van der Leij & José Luis Moraga-Gonzàlez, 2004. "Economics: An Emerging Small World?," Working Papers 2004.84, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Marcel Fafchamps, 2002.
"Returns to social network capital among traders,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 54(2), pages 173-206, April.
- Garance Genicot & Debraj Ray, 2003.
"Group Formation in Risk-Sharing Arrangements,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 70(1), pages 87-113.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Susan Lund, 2000.
"Risk-Sharing Networks in Rural Philippines,"
Economics Series Working Papers
10, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Marcel Fafchamps, 2004. "Market Institutions in Sub-Saharan Africa: Theory and Evidence," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262062364, December.
- Paul Oyer, 2006. "Initial Labor Market Conditions and Long-Term Outcomes for Economists," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(3), pages 143-160, Summer.
- Sonia Oreffice & Climent Quintana, 2009.
"Anthropometry and Socioeconomics in the Couple: Evidence from the PSID,"
- Climent Quintana Domeque & Sonia Oreffice, 2010. "Anthropometry and socioeconomics in the couple: evidence from the PSID," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-16, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Marco van der Leij & Jaromir Kovarik, 2012.
"Risk aversion and social networks,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2012-01, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Cilem Selin Hazir, 2011. "Conceptualizing the Role of Geographical Proximity in Project Based R&D Networks: A Literature Survey," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1616, European Regional Science Association.
- Nicolas CARAYOL & Lorenzo CASSI & Pascale ROUX, 2014. "Unintended triadic closure in social networks: The strategic formation of research collaborations between French inventors," Cahiers du GREThA 2014-13, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Yann Bramoullé & Bernard Fortin, 2009. "The Econometrics of Social Networks," Cahiers de recherche 0913, CIRPEE.
- Ernest Miguélez, 2012. "How do geographically mobile innovators influence network formation?," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 1208, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised May 2012.
- Cassi, Lorenzo & Plunket, Anne, 2010.
"The determinants of co-inventor tie formation: proximity and network dynamics,"
27303, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cassi, Lorenzo & Plunket, Anne, 2012. "Research collaboration in co-inventor networks: combining closure,bridging and proximities," MPRA Paper 39481, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lorenzo Cassi & Anne Plunket, 2010. "The determinants of co-inventor tie formation: proximity and network dynamics," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 1015, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Nov 2010.
- Michael Koenig, 2012. "The Formation of Networks with Local Spillovers and Limited Observability," Discussion Papers 11-004, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Cilem Selin Hazir & Corinne Autant-Bernard, 2012. "Using Affiliation Networks to Study the Determinants of Multilateral Research Cooperation Some empirical evidence from EU Framework Programs in biotechnology," Working Papers 1212, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Matthias Krapf, 2012. "Age and Complementarity in Scientific Collaboration," Working Paper Series of the Department of Economics, University of Konstanz 2012-18, Department of Economics, University of Konstanz.
- Margherita Comola & Mariapia Mendola, 2013.
"The Formation of Migrant Networks,"
Development Working Papers
353, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Berger, Allen N. & Kick, Thomas & Koetter, Michael & Schaeck, Klaus, 2011.
"Does it pay to have friends? Social ties and executive appointments in banking,"
Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies
2011,18, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Berger, Allen N. & Kick, Thomas & Koetter, Michael & Schaeck, Klaus, 2013. "Does it pay to have friends? Social ties and executive appointments in banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2087-2105.
- Cassi, Lorenzo & Plunket, Anne, 2013. "Proximity, network formation and inventive performance: in search of the proximity paradox," MPRA Paper 47388, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cilem Selin Hazir & Corinne Autant-Bernard, 2012. "Using Affiliation Networks to Study the Determinants of Multilateral Research Cooperation Some empirical evidence from EU Framework Programs in biotechnology," Working Papers halshs-00697556, HAL.
- Ernest Miguelez, 2013. "How does geographical mobility of inventors influence network formation?," WIPO Economic Research Working Papers 07, World Intellectual Property Organization - Economics and Statistics Division, revised Apr 2013.
- repec:wip:wpaper:7 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Essex Economics Web Manager).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.